Chapter 8

When I woke up the next day, the first thing that popped into my mind is "Lucas Taylor". Luke, again! The day before, I couldn't seem to stop thinking of him. Well, true enough. Before I went to sleep last night, my last thought was him. Okay! Okay! I have to calm down! If I couldn't stop thinking about him, so what!? It doesn't technically mean that I like him or something... I hope so, because this feeling of mine about him is different! I mean, why couldn't I stop thinking about him?

After bathing, dressing up and grooming myself, Helena groaned. It was getting late so, I had to wake her up.

"Hey!" I kneeled beside her bed "Wake up, sleepy head!!! You're gonna be late if you don't wake up sooner or later".

"What time is it?" she asked in a soft tone.

"It's almost 7:30" I said. She doesn't seem alright. "You okay?" I asked.

"Joe, I don't feel so good!" she said, as she covered her blanket all over her. I placed my palm on her neck, and she was really warm.

"You're burning up" I said.

"Check my temperature, will you?" she said, and I opened the drawer of her bedside table and found a thermoscanner. Her temperature was 38.5 degrees Celsius when I checked. She is certainly not feeling so good. She has fever.

"That's it. You're staying here. You are sick. Do you want anything?" I asked her, as I placed the thermoscanner back inside the drawer.

"Just Dorothy" she said.

"How did you get this fever?" I asked.

"Probably yesterday, in the Greenhouse. I'm not so sure if you noticed but, it rained yesterday. And, I stayed behind in the Greenhouse while all the other girls went straight ahead to their rooms". she said. Well, I was asleep yesterday when they were working in the Greenhouse so, yeah. I didn't really noticed it rained yesterday.

"Wait! I'm totally confused! You got this fever inside the Greenhouse?" I asked.

"No! That's not what I meant! When it started raining like crazy then I ran back inside" she said.

I went to the Dining Hall afterwards. I passed by the table where the girls and I usually sit...

"Joe, where's Helena?" Cassy asked me.

"She's sick. She can't have classes today" I said.

"2nd Monday of School and she's already sick!?" Chantel said.

"Yeah. Sorry, can't talk right now" I said as I walked away because I needed to look for Dorothy.

I know Dorothy's always in the kitchen, and I guess everybody knows that. Anyways, when I found Dorothy chopping vegetables in the kitchen, I told her that Helena needs her and such. Dorothy told me that she's more than just a cook in the school. She's also a nurse and a tutor. Dorothy said that she favors Helena and she's been watching over her ever since she was in her First Year here at Grace Randolph. And then as Dorothy left, I took an apple from the basket sitting on one of the countertops. Luke entered the kitchen, carrying a gallon of milk afterwards. I actually froze at first when I saw him but then, I don't know! I just told myself deep down inside to act natural...

"You again?" I asked, and he just smirked.

"Where's Dorothy?" he asked.

"Helena is sick so, she is like watching over her" I said.

"Ohh. It's just that, I have the milk she ordered this morning" he said.

"Well, I don't know what to do about it".