Chapter 33

Turns out, my cousins and I are spending Christmas and New Year in Dublin!!! We'll be staying at dad and Uncle Tom's cousins' house.

Dad broke the news to Callum and I last night when Callum arrived home after his "date" with Bernie. I couldn't believe it!!! Just a couple of days ago, I was envying my friends because almost all of them are celebrating Christmas and New Year outside England, but now, I guess I am celebrating Christmas and New Year outside England too, which is fantastic!!!

At first, Callum and I panicked because we absolutely have no idea whether or not pets are allowed in the ferry that will take us to Ireland.

"Ahh-" dad scratched his head "I don't know whether or not pets are allowed in the ferry. I've never brought an animal along with me whenever I go to Ireland."

Callum and I turned to each other with concerned expressions on our faces.

"Now, look here," dad said "Can't you both just leave him behind?"

"NO!" Callum and I yelled in unison.

"I know you both want to go to Ireland. I also know for the fact that you both would want to take Toby, but you have to make a choice," he said "Travel to Ireland and leave that mutt behind, or let him stay with you, but you will stay here and take care of him."

"I am willing to stay behind with him." Callum said.

"Dad," I turned to him "It's official!!! I'm coming with you to Ireland, and Callum's staying here!!!"

"What?!" Callum said "How selfish can you be?!"

"It's just a joke!" I said.

"To make matters fair, I will keep both of you together." Dad said "You must choose between coming to Ireland or staying here in Britain."

"Is that about the dog?" Ben entered the room.

"What are you doing here?" Callum asked Ben.

"Nothing, just visiting." Ben said "I understand you're all worried about the dog, aren't you?"

"Joe and Callum wish to take him to Ireland." dad said.

"Mmm," Ben nodded "Well, why not, Steve?"

"I'm not even sure if animals are allowed in the ferry-"

"They are!" Ben said.

Callum and I turned to each other.

"What did you say?" dad asked.

"Pets are allowed in the ferries, but there are demanding conditions." Ben said.

"How do you know?" dad asked.

"I went to Belfast when I was younger and brought my cat along with me." he said.

"Demanding conditions, you say?"

"Not quite demanding, really. If you're a car or foot passenger of the ferry from Liverpool to Belfast, then you may bring your pet, however, they are only permitted to stay in the car decks and may not go to the passengers area on board. If you're travelling by foot, then you're gonna have to pay." Ben said.

Dad turned to Callum and I, and we were both smiling.

"If Tom doesn't bring the car, you two are gonna have to pay for his voyage on board, understood?" dad said, and Callum and I nodded.

Dad left, but Ben stayed. He was smiling at us.

"What?" I asked.

He reached for his wallet and gave Callum £15.