Chapter 40

I started unpacking when I got back to my room. I couldn't stop thinking about Luke, and how much I missed him. It's only like 1 in the afternoon, so, I'm hoping that his ferry ride got delayed, it was traffic in Paris, or traffic in London. What am I so worried about anyway?!

Helena walked in later on.

"I called," Helena said.

"What'd he say?" I asked.

"It wasn't Luke who picked up." Helena said "It was Jason."

Jason...his cousin Jace.

"What'd he say?" I asked.

Oh no! Luke didn't die, did he?!

"Jace is in London," she said "he just got back this morning."

"Just him?!" I shrieked.

"Luke might never come back." Helena said.

"What?!" I shrieked "Why?!"

Helena sucked in her lips.

"Have you been seeing Dorothy around?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"She's in Paris now," Helena said "All of them are!"

"What does that mean?!" I asked.

"They are all going to live there from now on!" Helena said.

Seriously?!

Helena said nothing and then she just went to the bathroom afterwards. She didn't come out.

I was about to cry, but I tried to fight it. It's not wrong to cry over him, of course. But,  I just don't understand! How could he leave just like that?!

I ran outside, I was crying while running. I really don't understand how he could not say anything to me!

I ended up in the "secret garden", where he and I used to spend a lot of time with each other.

I stayed there for the rest of the afternoon. I must've cried a ton, but it took longer than I thought when I did. I'm not the type of person who just busts out in tears.

I never took the necklace Luke had given me for Christmas out. I was enraged for a little while that I grabbed the necklace of my neck and about to take it off, but I didn't because I thought I was over reacting.

***

On the days that followed, I haven't been focused. Helena was very focused, and so as the others. Both if us were really affected by Luke not coming back to England, just like all the other guys are, but what's weird is that nobody else seemed to care, like Cassius. Doesn't he even feel lonely in the dorm?

My New Year at Grace Randolph wasn't kicking in so well. Mr. Evans, our English teacher, and probably the most harsh teacher at Randolph, scolded me every meeting because of not paying too much attention. Because of that, the girls talked me out of it while we were studying in the courtyard.

"I really don't get it why you guys don't seem to care," I said, and then I turned to Helena "Especially    you."

Helena gave a small laugh.

"It's not that we don't care," she said "It's just that there are more things to worry about right now rather that Luke not coming back to Britain."

"Like what?" I asked.

"Studies?" Chantel said.

I shrugged.

"That's it?" I asked.