A Gift Must Conform to One's Desires

Da Shun had a rule for the first day of every year. Every official in the capital of standard fourth rank and higher had to bring his family to pay respects to the Emperor and the Empress. The officials went to greet the Emperor, while the women went to greet the Empress. If the family had a son of the first wife under the age of eight, they could also go with the women and greet the Empress.

The reason for entering the palace was to give gifts. Especially when celebrating the new year, no family's gift could be too shabby. Of course, the gifts were brought by the men to be presented to the Emperor, and on the Empress' side, if there is someone interested, they can also send a gift to her. If an appropriate gift truly could not be found, it was not considered too improper. It could be summarized as, it depended on each person's feelings.

Feng Jin Yuan did not say what sort of gift was prepared, and his children did not ask. The Feng family had prepared another gift to be presented to the Empress, with the daughter of the first wife, Feng Yu Heng, to present it.

That gift was a jade pillow. The jade was of exceptional quality, and apparently, the matriarch had kept it in the warehouse for many years and was unwilling to use it.

Feng Yu Heng had also prepared some gifts. One was for the Empress and one was for imperial concubine Yun. From facial cleansers to anti-aging cream to pressed powder, it was a full set of cosmetics. This was completely a gift given based on her feelings. They were unrelated to the Feng family, so there was naturally no need to tell the people of the Feng family.

Of course, there were many madams and young misses who had similar thoughts. Aside from the gifts for their masters, they also prepared some smaller gifts for the palace servants. These were all things that needed to be done.

The Feng family also gave the children some of these small gifts. They were, after all, from a standard first rank official's family. They definitely could not be shabby when they went out.

On the first day of the new year, Feng Jin Yuan headed out with his four daughters and only son, each getting in their own carriage.

Zi Rui sat with Feng Yu Heng in the same carriage. It was the carriage gifted by the Emperor to Feng Yu Heng. This was the first time the young child had sat in this cariage, so he felt that everything was very fresh, as he continuously asked Huang Quan about all kinds of things.

Feng Yu Heng watched Zi Rui then said: "Do you really not need a maidservant to take care of you?" She had originally sent a servant over with him, but she was sent back after just a few days.

Zi Rui told her: "The academy does not even allow for page boys, so how could I have a maidservant. Headteacher said that we had to do everything ourselves. We cannot rely on anyone else to help. Elder sister, don't worry. I have become accustomed to it already. Also, I feel like it's very good to do things myself."

Hearing Zi Rui say this, Feng Yu Heng relaxed, as she began to feel a bit more certainty and respect towards imperial tutor Ye Rong.

The group very quickly arrived at the palace's entrance. Feng Jin Yuan went straight to the front entrance, while the girls went to a side entrance to enter straight into the back half of the palace. But before Feng Yu Heng's carriage could turn around, it was stopped.

The person who stopped the carriage was a eunuch that Feng Yu Heng had seen before. It was someone who took care of the Emperor with Zhang Yuan. The driver lifted the curtain, and the eunuch politely saluted her then said: "County princess, his Majesty has an order. He invites the Feng family's young master to enter the palace with Prime minister Feng. His Majesty wishes to see his junior disciple."

"Oh?" Feng Yu Heng blinked a few times. The Emperor wanted to see Zi Rui? Thinking about it, that should be the case. He was Ye Rong's personal disciple, but the Emperor had not met him yet. "Alright, then would eunuch please wait a moment. I will give a few words of advice to my younger brother then have him follow you over."