Sun and Moon at the Beach

The teenagers made their way through the crowded beach, Zuko and Mai sharing an umbrella. Azula went on to kick down and crush a sandcastle that two young boys had been working on, with Ty Lee grinning brightly next to her.

They screamed in terror as they ran off.

Ty Lee looked around, mildly confused as she held a large pink bag over her shoulder when a gawky teen boy sprang into view.

"Hey, do you need some help unpacking?" he questioned eagerly.

"Sure, thanks!" Ty Lee dropped the enormous bag into his arms, knocking him down.

He quickly began work, eventually laying down a pink towel for Ty Lee to sit on. Azula turned away jealously, not really interested in seeing someone fawning over her friend.

"Could you scooch just a little more to the..." Ty Lee squinted up at the boy, who was briefly confused before leaping to block out the sun for the girl. "Perfect."

She gave the boy a wink.

Not far from the girl, Zuko and Mai sat huddled under an umbrella. A small child ran by, laughing. The sound reminded him of her, and he quickly looked around for something to distract himself. He spotted a seashell, picking it up. He turned to Mai, smiling slightly as he held it out to her.

"Here," he said. "This is for you."

"Why would I want that?" she asked.

🌞

"Dude, look at this one!" Amaya held up a seashell that seemed to change colours as the light shifted. "It's so pretty!"

🌞

"I saw it, and I thought it was pretty," Zuko explained, trying not to focus on the memory of her with a bag full of seashells. In hindsight, the seashell did not help in distracting him from her. "Don't girls like stuff like this?"

Mai turned away. "Maybe stupid girls."

Zuko threw the shell away, feeling angry and hurt. "Forget it!"

The shell landed near a large teen boy, who happened to spot Ty Lee while looking for whoever threw the seashell. He grabbed the shell and ran over to her, presenting it to her with a shy blush.

"Wow, thanks!" Ty Lee smiled. "This is so pretty!"

"It's so pretty, Zuko, look!"

"Not as pretty as you are," the large teen said smoothly. The lanky teen moved closer, looking slightly annoyed as he inspected the shell.

"That shell's not so great!"

"Ahem!" Ty Lee shaded her eyes. "Shade... shade!"

🍦

Zuko came by, holding two ice cream cones, sitting down next to Mai.

"I thought since it's so hot..." he held out a cone. "Here."

The scoop then proceeded to fall into Mai's lap.

"Thanks," Mai said sarcastically. "This is really refreshing."

🍦

"Well, you can't win them all!" she laughed, licking her fingers as she tried to pick up the melting treat.

🍦

Zuko turned away sullenly. No matter what he did, he was constantly reminded of their differences. She was sunshine, and Mai was moonlight. Yet, both beautiful in their own ways, he supposed.

But he felt like he needed that sunshine and Mai...

"Hey beach bums, we're playing next," Azula called, breaking Zuko's brooding. "Ty Lee, get over here now!"

Ty Lee rolled off her towel into a handstand and 'walked' over, smiling brightly. Zuko stood up and threw off his shirt dramatically. He could hear girls giggling nearby.

👕

"Geeze, put a shirt on before you poke somebody's eye out!" she blushed, turning away quickly.

👕

Maybe a game of volleyball would do the trick.

The group huddled together, Azula's expression menacing. As usual.

"See that girl with the silly pigtails?" Azula said, the other three looking over to the girl in question.

"When she runs towards the ball, there's just the slightest hesitation of her left foot," Azula said. "I'm willing to bet a childhood injury has weakened her. Keep serving the ball to her left, and we'll destroy her and the rest of her team. Dismissed!"

🏐

The game went pretty much as Azula had predicted, with the finisher being Azula setting the court on fire. She laughed maniacally as the net burned.

"Yes, we defeated you for all time!" she cackled. "You will never rise from the ashes of your shame and humiliation."

She then returned to her team.

"Well, that was fun," she said.

Ty Lee was then approached by two teen boys, both cocky and clearly thought they were amazing.

"I'm having a party tonight," the first said. "You should come by."

"Sure!" Ty Lee smiled, turning towards them. "I love parties!"

"Your friend can come, too," the second said, indicating Mai.

Azula approached angrily, with Zuko close behind her.

"What about me and my brother?" she crossed her arms in displeasure. "Aren't you going to invite us?"

The teens looked at each other sceptically.

"You don't know who we are, do you?" Azula quirked an eyebrow at them questioningly.

"Don't you know who we are?" the first smirked. "We're Chan and Ruon Jian."

"Yeah!" Ruon Jian said cooly.

Zuko stalked forward, his fists clenched. He hated being treated like a nobody. Azula put her arm out, stopping him with a casual smirk.

"But fine," Chan said, raising an eyebrow at the way the siblings were behaving. "You're invited. Just so you know, though, some of the most important teenagers in the Fire Nation are gonna be at this party so... try and act normal."

Azula smirked wickedly. "We'll do our best."

🏖

The teens sat around a hexagonal table, eating an elaborate meal on the balcony with Li and Lo. Zuko sullenly turned to his sister.

"Why didn't you tell those guys who we were?" he demanded.

"I guess I was intrigued," Azula answered. "I'm used to people worshipping us."

"They should," Ty Lee said helpfully.

"Yes, I know, and I love it!" Azula said. "But for once, I just wanted to see how people would treat us if they didn't know who we were."

Zuko's thoughts turned to her. She knew who he was but always behaved as if that was about as important as whether or not it was going to rain. She never cared that he was a prince.

But she never treated him like he was just a nobody.

He missed - he shook his head to expel the thought before it could take hold. It wasn't important. He leaned against Mai, who did the same while eating slowly.

"Like waves washing away the footprints on the sand," Li said.

"Ember Island gives everyone a clean slate," Lo continued.

"Ember Island reveals the true you," Li added.

The twins stood, clapping twice, then each raising an arm in excitement. "To the party!"