Time to do the sword thing again

Sokka and Mangetsu sat opposite Piandao in the middle of the sword fighting ring, as Piandao reflected on their training for the day.

"You've both had a good first day of training," he said calmly.

"I have? I mean, I know Mangetsu did pretty much everything you said-"

"Except the rock garden," Mangetsu helpfully added.

"Except the rock garden," Sokka agreed. "But I thought I messed up every single thing we worked on."

"You messed things up in a very special way," Piandao clarified. "And as for Mangetsu, while his methods weren't exactly right, they weren't wrong either. Both of you are ready for a real sword."

"Are you giving us one of yours?" Sokka asked excitedly.

"No."

"Haha!" Mangetsu mocked, pointing at Sokka, who slumped down with a disappointed groan.

"Your sword must be an extension of yourself," Piandao said. "So tomorrow, you will both make your own sword."

"Aww."

"Yes!"

Sokka grinned excitedly while Mangetsu groaned.

Piandao brought them to a room filled with racks of swords. He brought them before a table with several bricks of steel.

"Choosing the correct material is the most important step in crafting a sword," Piandao explained. "You must trust your steel with your life. Choose carefully."

Sokka took two bricks, weighing them in each hand. He set them down, picking up another and sniffing it, then biting it to test its quality. Mangetsu raised an eyebrow at Sokka but left him to his own devices. Sokka set it down again, putting a hand to his chin thoughtfully. He seemed to come to some idea and turned to Piandao.

"Master, would it be possible for us to leave and bring back a special material for our swords?" Sokka questioned.

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Piandao smiled.