Dysfunction was always her thing

A/N: After pestering and pestering SashaL, I finally got to post this chapter early! :D

The day progressed with everyone pitching in to help clean the river. Muteki, Toph, Mangetsu, and Katara used their earth and waterbending respectively to separate the muck from the water, Aang using his waterbending to move the muck boats to the designated dumping spot. Once the river was clean, Muteki was going to destroy it with lava bending after burying it.

No one wanted to smell that stuff burning after Mogui tried burning it to claim the job of the disposal guy.

Jin threw a mop at him after that.

By sunset, the river was a glorious, pristine blue. Given time, the river would become healthy again.

That night, while sitting around the campfire, Katara went down to the river.

"I got the idea from that one Firebender during that festival," Mogui said proudly. "Do you remember, Aang? The one who made a dragon out of the fire and lassoed it?"

"I remember!" Aang said cheerily. "I think the fish were much more amazing, though."

"Right?" Mogui said brightly.

"Mangetsu, what are you doing?" Jin laughed at the small bender, who appeared to be in the middle of a small scuffle with Appa and a bag of berries.

"I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!" he cried, trying desperately to avoid not only Appa's enormous tongue but also Momo's little grabby hands.

Mogui's face suddenly fell, even as everyone else burst out laughing.

"DON'T SIT THERE LAUGHING AT ME, HELP ME, DAMMIT!"

"SHUT UP!" Mogui suddenly shouted, causing the small waterbender to trip and fall, the berries scattering and being claimed by the triumphant lemur and bison.

Everyone stared at Mogui, who was breathing heavily while glaring darkly at the blonde, whose head snapped up with a furious expression.

"What the hell is your problem!?" Mangetsu demanded.

"My problem is you!" he snapped back. "Everything about you just pisses me off!"

"Oh please, I can't even sneeze without you getting on my case," Mangetsu rolled his eyes as he got back to his feet, dusting himself off.

"Oh shut up!" Mogui yelled.

"What, you don't like that?" Mangetsu sneered. "Or do you just not like me!?"

"I think you're an arrogant prick!" Mogui growled back.

"Well, I'm just your problem," Mangetsu shrugged. "It's like I'm not even a person, am I?"

"No, you're just a parasite!"

Silence fell over the camp, and Mangetsu chuckled with a self-deprecating smile as his expression grew dark. "This again?"

"Again?" Sokka questioned, frowning.

"Mog, let it go," Muteki said, getting up. "We've been over this. Leave it."

"Mangetsu, maybe go see what's got Katara held up?" Jin suggested softly.

"No. Hell no!" Mangetsu snapped. "I'm sick of this jerk snapping at me over every little thing. Damn typical hothead mentality of his lot."

"Dude, you're developing a mild case of foot in mouth, stop before it worsens," Muteki warned.

"No!" Mangetsu snapped. "I've been on my best damn behaviour, all things considered, and that damn firebender is always finding something to blow up about."

"Mangetsu," Jin warned.

"I didn't kill your friend!" Mangetsu screamed at Mogui. "A firebender did that! So leave me the hell out of your damn pity party!"

Mangetsu turned around and stormed away, Katara appearing from the opposite end, her smile fading.

"What just happened?"

"Mog got mad at Getsu, and Getsu took exception to that," Toph explained. "He's really upset."

"I don't care," Mogui growled, the campfire flaring briefly, sparks of electricity jumping from the flames.

"Mog, that was uncalled for," Muteki said calmly. "You know he can't help what he is."

"It should have been her!" he snapped. "Amaya should have been our other waterbender, and she's not!"

"That's not-"

"Don't tell me it's not his fault!" Mogui yelled. "I know damn well whose fault it is, so stop telling me it's not his fault."

Mogui turned away, scrubbing his face as a few errant tears began to spill from his eyes. Katara shuffled her feet anxiously.

"I... I'm gonna go check on Mangetsu..."

Jin nodded silently as Katara set off for where Mangetsu had run off to.