Madness like a fever

Once more, Zuko found himself walking towards the prison tower. His mind was a blur, and he felt almost like he had that one time he had a fever.

But there was no Uncle to sit by his side and comfort him. No Amaya softly sang and brushed his sweat-soaked hair from his face with cool hands that brought healing and relief.

This fever was different.

It was madness eating away at his mind, and he needed... he didn't know what he needed.

"You again?" A guard snapped. "Stop where you are!"

Zuko looked up at him, blood pounding in his ears. The guard blinked in surprise, recognition registering on his face.

"Prince Zuko?"

'NO!' Panicked thoughts flashed across his mind as he grabbed the guard by his collar and slammed him into a wall. 'I can't be seen. No one can know!'

"I'm going in for a visit," he growled lowly. "You're gonna stand guard here, and no one is going to know about this."

The guard nodded, terror in his eyes. Zuko released him, and he fell to the ground with a thud and a small "oof" as Zuko stalked into the prison.

He reached the cell, his uncle sitting cross-legged on a mat. He was ragged and filthy, his once immaculate beard unkempt like his shaggy hair. He sat facing the wall, leaving Zuko with just a profile view of his uncle. Zuko could see, even as he approached the bars, that his uncle seemed to have aged. He looked drawn and tired, even though he was still ridiculously plump.

"Uncle, it's me," he whispered, pushing back his hood as he knelt next to the bars.

Iroh turned away from Zuko, a scowl crossing his face.

Zuko felt a pang of shame, quickly followed by rage. Amaya would have wanted him to keep it in check. He swallowed. Amaya wasn't there anymore.