Truce

The Gaang eventually pitched our tents in a huge crater. Aang thought it would be a good place to hide out and bide our time. Sokka, our map master, had agreed. He was also currently playing with Momo instead of setting the campfire.

"Hey, Mangetsu," Muteki called out. "Toss me that sleeping mat."

"Why do you always pick on me?" the squirt barked. "Sokka's been playing around with Momo this whole time!"

"Dude," Jin sighed. "You're already right there; just toss him the mat."

"Fine," the midget awkwardly picked up the mat in one hand, the other one awkwardly limp by his side.

"Not to alarm anyone," Jin said, digging through one of the bags. "But we seem to have lost some of our bandages."

"Is it really that big a deal?" Katara questioned.

"I mean, if you can heal all injuries, not really," Jin said, throwing the other girl an incredulous look. "But for us normies, we need the bandages."

"So, you're saying we have bandage bandits on the loose?" Muteki waggled his eyebrows. "You could say there's a bandit - wait, it's still the same word, that's no fun."

Jin snorted, and Mangetsu one-handedly threw the bedroll at Muteki, who gave a muffled laugh as it whacked him.

"Hey, Getsu," I asked. "What's up?"

"Nothing," the boy growled defensively.

"You sure?" I pressed. "Something wrong with your arm?"

"No..." He held up his good arm and wiggled it around.

"And the other one?"

"It's fine too."

"Just leave him alone," Jin sighed.

"No," I narrowed my eyes and jabbed a finger in his direction. "Cause he got hurt in that fight with that Piano Dao Guy!"

"Piandao," Mangetsu corrected.

"Whatever," I growled. "You got hurt, and you're our Gauze Gangster."

"Whatever," Mangetsu turned to walk away.

"Get back here, you Plaster Pirate! You Compress Crook!" I grabbed his arm, and he winced, throwing me off.

"What the hell is your problem?" he snapped. "Why can't you just leave things alone? Why do you have to just constantly make my life miserable?"

"Why the hell are you hiding that you got hurt?" I snapped back.

"Because it's not a big deal!" he yelled. "I cleaned it up, wrapped it up, and it's gonna be fine! So why get the whole group worked up over a scratch?"

"Mangetsu," Katara said calmly. "Can I see it?"

"It's fine," he said through gritted teeth. "Leave me alone."

"Mangetsu-" Jin started, but I grabbed the squirt's arm again and pulled the sleeve back to reveal bandages that were already spotted with blood.

"It's fine?" I demanded. "Does this look fine to you?"

"It was fine until you kept grabbing the damn thing and opened it up again!" he snapped, trying to pull his arm free. "Let go, Mogui; you're hurting me!"

Something about the way he said that made my hand go limp, and he pulled himself free, breathing heavily. I could just see the beginnings of tears in his eyes as he cradled his arm against his chest.