Uh oh...

Baichi and Bendan lounged in their outpost. Nothing else was left to do till dinner time. Lunch had been made and eaten; butts had been scratched; the log had been updated with the words "Nothing to report" on the hundredth page.

"This has got to be the most boring job in the Fire Nation," Baichi complained.

Bendan ignored his comrade and continued to de-jam his toes. The random sock lint was disgusting.

"Do you really have to do that?" Baichi asked as Bendan sniffed his lint covered sword hilt.

"Yeah," Bendan dropped his sword. "Nothing ever happens around here."

Suddenly something happened. Baichi's face blanched, and he pointed a shaking finger at a distant waterfall. Bendan ducked and scrambled to the ledge.

"Gimme the telescope," he held out his hand.

Baichi crouched next to his friend and held the telescope out. If they squoze their heads together, they could both squeeze a view of the kid splashing into a pool. The thing that terrified them wasn't the monkey-like thing clinging to his head but the bright blue tattoos lining his arms and back.

"The Avatar!" Baichi gasped.

"He is alive!" Bendan agreed. "We have to send a messenger hawk to the Fire Lord right away!"

Baichi started writing as Bendan fetched the hawk from its cage.

"A Black Ribbon Message!" Baichi sounded excited as he slipped the scroll into the hawk's message canister and tying it down. "This is so exciting!"

The hawk flew off and disappeared.