Turtle duck regrets

Zuko sat the edge of a small pond, little turtle ducks swimming around peacefully, eating the bread he tossed them mindlessly.  He remembered his mother scolding him for attacking one once. A small smile came to his face when he remembered the mother duck attacking him.  He had been surprised by how vicious they could be when they needed to be.

His smile faded when he remembered how he had once compared Amaya to a turtle duck.

"You're about as fierce as a baby turtle duck."

He had said that to her. After she had mumbled about being a fierce dragon and how they should all fear her. In hindsight, perhaps she had been more of a dragon than he gave credit for.

Suddenly the ducks scattered, quacking in terror. No, Amaya never seemed scared of Azula.

"You seem so downcast," she said lightly.  "Has Mai gotten to you already? Though actually, Mai has been in a strangely good mood lately."

"I haven't seen Dad yet," he responded sullenly.  

He would never admit that he still thought about Amaya, even when he was with Mai.  

"I haven't seen him in three years," he muttered. "Since I was banished."

"So what?"

"So, I didn't capture the Avatar," Zuko snapped back.

"Who cares?" she shrugged.  "The Avatar's dead.  Unless you think he somehow miraculously survived."

In that instant, he remembered the Avatar falling, how broken and lifeless he had looked, how Amaya had looked the same way.

He also recalled Katara telling him about special water she had received from the Spirit Oasis at the North Pole.  It had special properties, and Katara claimed to have been saving it for a special occasion.

He felt his heart become pulled in two directions.

On the one hand, he hoped it really had the power to save the Avatar. Maybe Katara had used it to save Amaya too... but on the other hand.

If the Avatar were dead, then there would be the chance he could regain his honour.

Pushing aside his thoughts, he looked up at Azula with a firm glare.

"No, there's no way he could've survived."

A smirk played on her lips as she stared down at him. "You realise that means there is no chance of that peasant girl you and uncle kept around surviving either?"

He felt a sharp pang in his heart but fought to keep his expression neutral.  He wouldn't let Azula see any weakness.

He wouldn't let her win.

When she received no reaction from him, she shrugged nonchalantly and turned to leave.

"Well, if there is no chance of him surviving, then you have nothing to worry about," she left him there as he gripped his knees tightly.

She had to have survived... right?