Here comes a thought

"Prince Zuko?" the voice came from the doorway.

"We are busy," the boy growled, waving a hand at the messenger.

"But Prince Zuko," the messenger started.

"He hasn't been sleeping well," Mai humphed, pulling his arm around herself. "Come back in the morning."

"Your package has arrived," the herald said calmly.

"His royal highness is tired," Mai threatened.

Zuko's brows furrowed, then bounced up in excitement. "Bring it in."

"Zuko?" the girl raised an eyebrow.

He raised his only eyebrow back at her.

"What did you get?" Mai asked. "Please don't say you got me a new dress?"

"Set it on the table," he demanded, ignoring the girl. "Then bring us a pot of water and some milk."

Mai raised an eyebrow at her boyfriend. He didn't seem too bothered by it.

"Of course, Prince Zuko," the messenger placed a small box on the table in front of the couple.

"What is that?" Mai demanded again, glaring at the prince.

"It is an exotic drink," Zuko finally answered. "I heard about it from..." he paused. "During my travels."

"What does it taste like?" she questioned.

"I don't know yet," he shrugged. "But I hear it is best with sugar. Lot's of sugar."

"I don't like sweet things," Mai sighed.

"I noticed," a familiar voice seemed to whisper into his ear.

Zuko jerked, thinking he saw someone leaning against the wall just outside his vision.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Mai teased.

"Prince Zuko?" a servant poked his head through the door. "I have brought your hot water and milk. The tea leaves and sugar cubes are on the side."

"Yes," Zuko embraced the distraction. "Just put it on the table."

"Why would you want milk in your tea?" Mai teased.

"I am not making tea," he opened the box.

The dark brown powder was finely ground and bitter smelling.

"She did say she liked it with sugar," Zuko muttered, spooning a few heaped teaspoons of the cocoa and several lumps of sugar.

"That is going to be far too sweet," Mai sighed dramatically.

Zuko ignored her, continuing to add cocoa and sugar to the water. "I think that's it..."

Two cups of the hot, brown beverage were poured and topped with milk. Zuko took a sip, savouring the link to his past.

"It's too sweet," Mai complained.

In a flash, he was reminded of the extreme differences between her and Mai. Like day and night, almost literally. Shame and regret bubbled up within him, and suddenly the rich, sweet hot drink was like sand in his mouth. He dropped his drink, the cup shattering and spattering the contents across the floor, his face twisting with disgust.

"Strong reaction," Mai said dryly.

"It's nothing," he snapped, spinning away from the table, only to be hit with a sudden wave of dizziness, reproachful eyes glaring at him from just behind his eyelids. 

Stumbling slightly, Mai caught his arm and helped him sit.

"Zuko? What's wrong?" concern flooded her features, and he tried to shake away everything that screamed at him that he was evil and unforgivable.

"It's nothing, just... too sweet..." It reminded him of her

Her sweetness, her kindness. Her ever-present smile... 

'She wasn't smiling when I betrayed her...' he thought. Mai laid her head on his shoulder.

'I didn't betray her,' his mind went dark. 'She betrayed me. She knew it was the only way-'

'Here comes a thought...'

"You okay, Zuko?" Mai asked, shaking him from his dark thoughts.

"Yes," he muttered, trying to focus on anything but her voice in his ear.

"We will just have to get rid of it, I suppose."

"Yeah..."

"Maybe it's more Ty Lee's tastes..."

"Maybe..."

The couple sat there for a long time. Mai laid her head on Zuko's shoulder. He laid his head over hers, but his mind was somewhere else. Desperately trying not to remember her but trapped in a prison with her always singing.

'That I might lose you...'

His hand tightened around Mai's, a link to the present to pull him away from his sins. From her fury.