Forced Vacation

The sea was calm, except for when a sea lion burst through the surface with a shrill cry, pulling a large Fire Nation ship along. It was a clear day, and Ty Lee stood at the bow with a carefree expression as the wind tousled her hair. Azula also relaxed but not as carefree. Zuko and Mai sat in the shade nearby.

"I'm so excited to spend the weekend on Ember Island," Ty Lee said cheerfully, resting her hands behind her head with a satisfied smile. "It's gonna be great to hang out on the beach and do nothing."

Zuko flinched at the comment, reminded of her for a brief moment in Ty Lee's light-hearted comment.

"Doing nothing is a waste of time," he stood up. "We're being sent away on a forced vacation."

He walked over to the balustrade, leaning on it as he stared out over the sea. "I feel like a child."

"Lighten up," Azula shrugged. "So dad wants to meet with his advisors alone... without anyone else around. Don't take it personally."

He sighed, deciding to stop thinking about his father and just admire the way the sun danced on the water- no, that just brought back memories of her practising her waterbending on the deck of his ship back when they first met.

He looked sharply away, focusing on something, just anything else.

"Doesn't your family have a house on Ember Island?" Ty Lee gestured towards Azula, who turned towards her.

"We used to come every summer when we were kids," Azula answered.

"That must've been fun!" Ty Lee's voice had begun to sound annoyingly like her voice.

Full of excitement and wonder. Light and cheery.

"That was a long time ago," Zuko said sullenly, finding that no matter what he did, he couldn't get her out of his head.

Was he going crazy? Why did he miss her warm presence, her smile, her laughter? Why did he feel so empty without her?

When they finally reached the dock, the teenagers climbed off and were greeted by Li and Lo.

"Welcome to Ember Island, kids," they said together.

They took the four teenagers to an old, small, shabby beach cottage. However, the inside was ornately decorated with a tropical theme.

"It smells like old lady in here," Zuko commented.

"Gee, I wonder why," Mai looked at Zuko, her voice heavy with sarcasm.

Ty Lee happened across a painting of two young twins standing back to back in a symmetrical, seductive pose.

"Who are these two beautiful women?" Ty Lee questioned.

"Can't you tell?" the elderly twins said together, mimicking the pose. "It's Li/Lo and me."

The four teens stared in confused disgust. Zuko covered his mouth as the urge to throw up hit him.

They were then guided to their rooms, and Ty Lee immediately threw herself onto a maroon bedspread.

"Ohh," she said as she snuggled the pillow. "I love the seashell bedspread!"

"Are you serious?" Mai questioned. "It looks like the beach threw up all over it."

She giggled and snuggled deeper, causing the other girl to roll her eyes and join Zuko and Azula, who was listening to Li and Lo.

"We know you're upset that you were forced to come here this weekend," Li said gently. "But Ember Island is a magical place. Keep an open mind."

"Give it a chance..." Lo said.

"...And it can help you understand yourselves and each other," they finished in unison.

Li picked up a smooth stone from the table, passing it to her sister as they spoke.

"The beach has a special way of smoothing even the most ragged edges."

Ty Lee had rejoined the group, Azula yawning in boredom.

The twins then did a series of identical motions as they stripped off their robes, revealing old lady bodies in swimwear.

"Time to hit the beach!" they declared in unison.

Mai put a hand up to cover Zuko's eyes.