Chapter 47

Another week went by. Kanda and Lyra's relationship had gotten stronger ever since he asked her to be his girlfriend. She finally moved into a new apartment and Sesshomaru volunteered to be her guarantor. She found it odd that he wanted to do it but he wouldn't take no for an answer. He still became agitated whenever she would hear speaking to or about Kanda but he tried his best not to show it.

He had been a lot kinder to her that week. Again, she found it strange but she wasn't going to complain. It was nice. But it only made Hokori hate her even more. Lyra knew she was the one who played that prank but she never ratted her out. She simply didn't see the point in it. She kept her distance and focused on her work. It bothered Hokori that she wasn't getting a reaction out of her and that was probably the best revenge.

It was Friday. Hokori was on her lunch break and Lyra continued her work. As she was going through the system, something didn't make sense to her. She would have asked Hokori but since she wasn't there, she decided to ask Sesshomaru. She got up and knocked on his door and waited for his call to enter.

She poked her head through the door and looked at him. "Can I borrow you for a few seconds? There's just something I don't quite understand."

He cursed himself. He would have to be alone with her and at close proximity. With a curt nod, he got up and followed her to her desk.

She sat down and pointed to the monitor. "How do I access these files? They keep coming up blank."

He stood behind her seat before leaning over and taking hold of the mouse. He clicked a few things as he also tried to open up the files. They were both so engrossed on trying to figure it out that they didn't realise how close their faces were.

"See, I did that, which usually works," she said. "But I don't know why I can't open that one."
"Hm. Did you try extracting the files?" he asked before glancing at her.

It was then that he realised how close her face was to his. All he could see was her beautiful skin, her cute nose, those plump lips. He almost didn't even hear her answer.

"Yes, I did do that but-"

She glanced at him and suddenly became frozen. The way he was gazing at her so intently made her heartbeat uneven. She couldn't seem to look away from his eyes. It was as if she was trapped within them. She watched as his eyes darted to her lips and then back to her eyes again. She gulped and lowered her gaze, unable to look directly into his entrancing golden eyes.

Suddenly, she felt his thumb brush across her cheek. Her skin tingled at his touch and her cheeks instantly became warm. After he moved his hand away, she lifted her gaze again.

He coughed awkwardly. "Your hair was stuck to your lip."
"Oh... Thanks..." she said, feeling surprisingly disappointed.

The elevator dinged and Sesshomaru stood back up straight behind her chair. The doors of the elevator slid open and Hokori walked out and across the corridor to them. When she saw Sesshomaru standing behind Lyra, her brows raised slightly. Sesshomaru acted as his usual, stoic self and Lyra's eyes were glued to the screen as she clicked on random things, pretending that she knew exactly what she was doing.

"What's wrong?" Hokori asked Sesshomaru.
"Lyra needed a double check on a document before sending it," he replied flawlessly. "Lyra, you may go on your break now."
She gave a single nod. "Yes, sir."

Sesshomaru returned to his office and closed the door before going to his desk. He sat down, leaning back as he breathed out deeply. Closing his eyes, he thought back to what had just happened. Or rather what almost happened. Her hair being caught on her lip was a lie. At that moment, all he wanted was to touch her. Even though it was just a slight touch, it provided him with a moment's satisfaction.