Chapter 46

During her lunch break, Lyra text Kanda and they continued to converse over text for the entire hour. Usually, Sesshomaru would go out for lunch but decided not to when he noticed she was going towards the staff room. She sat by herself on a small couch in the corner by the window. So, Sesshomaru sat on the opposite side of the large staff room at a table. He poured himself a mug of coffee and sat with his laptop open but he didn't really do any work. His focus was on her. Her posture was proper, her ankles crossed over to one side like a proper lady.

Other staff members in there were surprised to see their boss. But other than a simple greeting, they decided to leave him alone.

Sesshomaru continued to glance at Lyra every now and then. There was a shy smile on her face as she typed away on her phone. Clearly she was texting someone. And whoever that person was, they were making her blush.

'Enjoy the rest of your first day at work. Let me know when you get home safely. I'll pick you up at 7 x'

She smiled a little more upon seeing the little kiss at the end of the text. Sesshomaru couldn't help but feel a little annoyed even though he didn't know what the message read. She then began typing her reply.

'Thank you. I can't wait x'

She hit send and went to put her phone into her bag before her phone dinged again. She pulled it back out again to see another text.

'Me neither x'

Her smile grew again a little more as she finally turned her phone to silent and put it away. She stood up since it was the end of the hour and began to make her exit before she spotted Sesshomaru. He noticed her looking and made himself seem busy as she made her way over.

"I didn't know you were here, sir," she said with a polite smile. "I was expecting for you to go to a café like usual."
He typed something insignificant on his laptop. "It would be a waste of time. I have too much to do," he responded without looking at her.
Lyra noticed his full mug of coffee. "It's gone cold."
He glanced at the mug. He had totally forgotten about it. "I didn't have time." With a deep sigh, he closed his laptop and stood up. "Let us return."

Hokori was really not happy upon seeing Sesshomaru return with Lyra. It only made her dislike her even more. Sesshomaru gave her a simple greeting before entering his office, leaving the two assistants alone again. Lyra sighed as she went back to watching Hokori do her work.

The rest of the day dragged way too much. She never saw Sesshomaru again as he stayed locked up in his office. When it was finally the end of the day, Lyra gave her goodbyes to Sesshomaru and Hokori before leaving.

Hokori was glad to see the back of her. "Did you seriously have to hire her out of everyone?" she frowned once Sesshomaru exited his office.
He looked at her and sighed. "You would be unhappy with anyone. Get over it."
She pouted unhappily. "Why are you speaking to me like that?"
He closed his eyes and breathed out deeply. "I'm sorry. It's been a long day." He opened his eyes again and glanced her way. "Return home safely. I'll come later."
"Fine." She got up and pecked his lips. "Don't be too long."

With a nod, he returned to his office and closed the door. Now he would have to wait until the next day to see her again. 'Having you near me is torture. Being away from you is torture. What am I to do..?'

***

"I can't believe you've only been to McDonald's once in your entire life," Lyra said with surprise as they sat opposite each other in the fast food restaurant.

They were eating exactly what Lyra had ordered. Mocha frappés, apple pies, McFlurrys and fries. It was what she had ordered when Kanda and her went on a date a long time ago. She just didn't remember.