Chapter 57

After the guard left, Sesshomaru returned to Lyra. She looked up at him questioningly as he sat back down.

"What was it?" she asked.
Sesshomaru sighed. "The bone eater's well has opened and Kagome has returned."
"Really?!"

Her eyes widened and she quickly tried to get up, which only caused her further pain. Sesshomaru held onto her and made her sit in his lap.

"Calm yourself, Lyra."
"But Kagome's back. I have to see her."
"You don't need to see anyone," he said. "You're due to give birth any day now."
"But-"
"When I send the guards to retrieve the priestess, I will tell them to ask Inuyasha to bring Kagome. Does that satisfy you?"
She sighed. "Yes. Thank you."

It had been three years since she had seen her cousin, which was the longest she had gone without seeing her at all. But she was extremely happy for Inuyasha. The whole time she was gone, he had remained devoted and loyal to her and his wait was worth it.

Lyra relaxed against Sesshomaru again and closed her eyes. Unfortunately, she couldn't relax for long. She began feeling faint contractions and squeezed her eyes shut from the slight pain.

"Sesshy? I think it's time to get Kaede..."
His eyes widened a little. "What's wrong?"
"The contractions have started..." She then gasped and looked down at her bump. "And my waters have just broken."

Sesshomaru got her to lie down before leaving the room to send the guards to retrieve Lady Kaede. As the guards hurriedly left the palace, they ran past Kanda and Sabu, who had just arrived to visit.

Kanda quickly stopped one of the guards. "Hey, what's going on?"
"Lady Lyra has gone into labour. We're going to get the priestess," he answered before rushing off.

Kanda quickly glanced at Sabu before they both ran towards their bedroom. Being a doctor, Kanda naturally barged into the room and saw Sesshomaru helping Lyra to lie down. They both looked at him and Lyra's eyes widened.

"Kanda? Sabu?"
"We just got here and heard you were in labour," he explained as they entered. "Sorry for coming in without knocking. I thought you were having the baby but you seem fine."
She shot a glare at him. "Why don't you have a baby? Then you can tell me I seem fine."
"Okay," he said awkwardly. "Clearly your hormones are a bit high right now."

Lyra closed her eyes and took deep breaths as another wave of contractions hit her. She was gripping onto Sesshomaru's hand, trying her best not to scream out loud. He was worried about her, remembering how much pain she was in the last time.

He looked up at Kanda. "Is there nothing you can do for the pain?"
"I could blend some herbs together but nothing will be strong enough to relieve the pain of childbirth," Kanda explained. "I doubt she would even feel its effects. Back in the future, we have medicines and machines to provide relief, such as the epidural."
Lyra breathed out. "Hey, Kanda?"
"Yes?"
"Instead of giving us a lecture, why don't you go back and get some pain relief for me?"
"But the well's closed."
"It has reopened," Sesshomaru said. "Kagome has returned."

Kanda's eyes widened. It was tempting to rush back to get what he needed but he knew it would be too late by the time he got back. Lyra sighed and shook her head before looking at him.

"I'm sorry, Kanda, for being rude."
He smiled warmly. "Don't be."

Just then, the doors opened and a whole crowd entered the room. Kaede, Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, their kids, Shippo, Rin and Jaken. Lyra felt a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people that were suddenly there but she was so happy to see Kagome.

"Kagome, it's so good to see you!"
Kagome knelt down beside her. "You too, Lyra. This is so exciting!"
Lyra laughed softly. "Yeah. I wish we could catch up but-"