Chapter 20

"Master Jaken!"

Rin had already jumped on top of A-Un's back and Jaken rushed over to climb on.

"Quickly! Follow Lord Sesshomaru!" Jaken ordered.

A-Un flew into the air following the direction where Sesshomaru had gone. Inuyasha and Kagome watched them leave.

"Should we go after them?" he asked her.
Kagome shook her head. "No. This must be really hard for Sesshomaru. We need to give him space."

He looked at her. Tears were still falling from her eyes. He wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly as she cried silently.

***

Sesshomaru grew more and more desperate as he flew in the direction of his mother's castle. His arm gripped around Lyra's lifeless legs as she stayed flung over his mokomoko. He had carried her this way many times before and he just wished she would wake up and start talking. She would talk none stop even if he didn't respond. But he would still listen to her. He missed her constant nattering. He could feel that his heart was racing as he remained clinging onto hope that she could be revived.

Soon, he found his mother's castle in the sky and made his way to the top. Guards stood dotted around to protect the castle. Upon seeing Sesshomaru flying towards them, one had rushed inside to call Inukimi. (There's no official name for her so this will be it.) Sesshomaru landed atop the stairs that lead to the throne outside and was soon joined by Rin, Jaken and A-Un. They both climbed off and stood at Sesshomaru's side.

"Where are we, Lord Sesshomaru?" Rin asked.
"Well, well," came another voice. "This is certainly a surprise."

From the doors behind the throne, a lady walked out and stood in front of them. Sesshomaru stared at her with no response. She wore a purple and white kimono and wore a dark blue outer wrap that had a fur pelt around her chest. In addition, she wore a light blue necklace with an amulet.

"Hello, Sesshomaru," the lady greeted.
Jaken creased his brows in anger. "Who do you think you are?! Show a little respect! That's Lord Sesshomaru to you!"
She ignored the imp and continued to look at Sesshomaru. "I can only assume you have questions about the Tenseiga your father left you. I can think of no other reason you'd come visit your mother."

Rin and Jaken gasped at the revelation.

Jaken began to stutter. "M-m-m- Y-you're his mother?"

Again, he was ignored. Inukimi turned and sat on the throne. The throne was red and gold with a large round back rest and an extra long and flat surface to the side of it.

"Sesshomaru, as I recall you used to despise humans, did you not?" she began. "And yet here you are with a human child in your company. And who is that you are holding? Did you bring me a gift? Perhaps you intend to eat them."
Sesshomaru frowned, narrowing his eyes at his mother. "Tenseiga can be used to bring others back from the dead by slaying the demons of the underworld."
"Yes, I know, Sesshomaru. So, what is it you wish to know?"
He gritted his teeth, his expression quickly showing distress. "I can't save her."

His voice held hurt and it could also be seen in his expression. It surprised his mother greatly, not knowing he bore such strong feelings towards a mere human. She was curious about the girl be cared so deeply about.

"Place her down," she told him, motioning to the flat surface joined to her throne.

Sesshomaru went over and carefully lay her down onto the cushioned surface. His mother watched as he then stayed sitting beside the body, his eyes not leaving her face. He gently moved her hair from her face but became even more frustrated. Lyra's skin was growing colder and colder. She was almost like ice. Rin and Jaken ran over to the other side to stay near her.