Chapter 45

Kanda couldn't tell whether Lyra was joking or not. But he leaned towards the latter since she seemed incredibly serious.

Strange things had been going on recently that he couldn't quite understand. The biggest company in the country, Taisho Corps, pretty much appeared overnight but it had apparently always been there. Kanda even knew the company had always been around but for some reason, it didn't seem right. Yet the whole world was so normal about it. He thought he possibly just never heard of it before but it seemed unlikely. What really bothered him was the fact the owner of the company was a guy named Sesshomaru. He had passed it off as a coincidence but seeing Lyra in front of him made him think otherwise.

He was visiting the Imperial Palace on his lunch break to relive the memories he had spent with Lyra after their engagement. So, it came as quite a shock to him when he saw her there. It had been a few months since he had last seen her so it was a pleasant surprise. However, he found it odd that she was alone and he was pretty certain she was pregnant the last time he saw her. Plus, she was in a hoodie and jeans, which wasn't something she usually wore. He had brushed it off as just her visiting and so he took the opportunity to approach her.

When she eyed him with unfamiliarity, he was instantly concerned. Even now as he introduced himself, there was an uncertainty in her eyes.

"You really don't know who I am?" he asked in shock.

Lyra looked at the man closer. He was incredibly handsome, she couldn't deny that especially in his suit, but she couldn't remember who he was for the life of her.

She sighed. "Listen, we probably met before but I honestly can't remember you. I'm sorry."

She backed away from him awkwardly before turning away. Kanda couldn't just let her go. Something was definitely wrong. Whatever was happening, he had to play it safe. Clearly she had lost her memory and the whole Taisho Corps appearing out of nowhere also had a part to do with whatever was going on. He had to play it off as casual. If he triggered anything, it may end up causing her more harm than good. He couldn't mention anything about their past. Their engagement...

"No, wait!" He caught up to her and blocked her path. "I apologise. I didn't mean to frighten you. It's just... It's just been a long time since we last met. I can understand why you wouldn't recognise me. Again, I'm sorry."
Lyra looked at the stranger hesitantly. "It's alright. I'm terrible at remembering faces so I'm sorry if I'm a bit standoffish."
"It's fine. We met briefly a long time ago. Don't worry."

For some reason, the last two words he spoke felt familiar to her. She tilted her head slightly and took a closer look at him.

"That's something you say quite often, isn't it?" she asked.

His eyes widened slightly. He recalled her saying that he repeated that phrase quite a lot before they had gotten engaged.

"Yeah, that's right," he smiled.
She closed her eyes tightly, trying hard to remember him. "See, I remember that but not much else I'm afraid." Opening her eyes, she smiled apologetically. "I really wish I could remember you."
"Me too..." he whispered.
"Hey, Kanda? If you're free right now, we could get some coffee and catch up," she suggested nervously, feeling a little embarrassed. "Perhaps it will help jog my memory."
He was surprised but nodded. "Yes, of course."

He motioned with his hand for her to lead the way. As they walked together to the nearest café, they were both fairly quiet. Both were lost deep into their thoughts.

Kanda was trying to piece together what had happened. He seemed to be the only one who was questioning the reality of the situation. The woman in front of him was definitely Lyra. He could never forget those eyes, that face, that voice. Was her Sesshomaru really the same one who owned Taisho Corps? If so, why weren't they together? And where was her baby? There were so many questions he had to find answers to without causing her any psychological harm.