Chapter 51

Lyra's head was hurting so much, she didn't notice the car speeding towards her. Hokori smirked evilly as she fast approached her target.

"Good riddance."

She heard a loud screech and then it happened. Lyra let out a scream as she went flying across the street. Everything went black as she hit the ground with a thud. It was as if everything had slowed down but it all happened within a second. That one second felt like minutes.

Being delirious, she could hear people shouting and yelling to call an ambulance. A sense of panic and tension filled the atmosphere and the public were in shock to have witnessed it all. Soon, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Ma'am?! Ma'am, are you okay?!" a woman asked.

Lyra slowly opened her eyes. Everything was a blur and she couldn't comprehend what was happening. She could hear the sirens in the distance echoing in her ears. Pushing against the ground, she slowly sat up. The woman who was there helped her up and it was as her vision cleared, she noticed a small group of people surrounding her. And as her vision cleared, so did her mind. She looked at the woman who had an expression of extreme worry on her face.

"Are you okay?" the woman repeated.
Lyra blinked a couple of times as she breathed heavily. "I... What..."
A man crouched down in front of her and held up a few fingers. "How many fingers am I holding up?"
"Three..." she answered correctly but it still didn't diffuse her confusion.

He nodded and then he and the woman helped her get to her feet. Once she was standing, they slowly let go of her and made sure she wasn't going to fall over. She looked at the people gathered around her.

"What... What happened..?"
The woman answered. "You were almost hit by a car."
"Oh..." She held her head and squeezed her eyes shut for a couple of seconds. "I see." She breathed out deeply and opened her eyes again to see a larger crowd gathered around the front of the car. "Is that the car?"
"Yes," the woman replied again.
Lyra nodded. "Thank goodness no one got hurt."
"Actually..." the man spoke causing Lyra to look at him. "Someone pushed you out of the way and got hit instead."

Her eyes shot open wide and before anyone could stop her, she ran towards the other crowd. Pushing her way through, she soon made it to the middle where everyone's attention was.

Her legs suddenly buckled under her and she almost fell back but a few members of the crowd held onto her arms. She shook her head as tears streamed from her eyes.

"No..." she breathed out shakily. "No!" She pulled her arms out of their grip and went to the bloodied body, falling to her knees. "Kanda..." Her hands shook as she reached out to his face and held onto it. "Wake up... Wake up..." She sobbed but tried to hold it back. "Open your eyes..."

His white shirt had been stained with his blood and it was still spreading. There was a pool of blood on the road around his head as well. She cried harder as she realised he was dead. Lowering her head, she began administering CPR in the hope of bringing him back. After blowing into his mouth, she began pushing his chest. Again, she breathed into his mouth and tried again and again and again. But to no avail. He was gone. Still, she tried. A member of the public had to physically stop her because there was nothing that could be done.

Once the realisation hit, she dropped her head onto his chest and wailed. She clutched onto his shirt and mumbled through her sobbing, begging for him to wake up.

"Please... Please... Kanda, wake up... Why..." She breathed in shakily. "You fool... Why did you do that?" She squeezed her eyes and lifted her head before opening her eyes again to look at his face. "Why did you save me..?" She continued to sob loudly, not caring about the crowd around them as she gripped his shirt tighter. "I wasn't worth it..."