Chapter 44

The whole night, Lyra couldn't get Sesshomaru out of her mind. There was something extremely special and unique about him. And there was a connection she couldn't seem to shake off from when they shook hands. He was the last thing he thought about before sleeping and the first thing when she woke up.

She slammed her fists down on the bed either side of her body. 'Dammit! Why can't I get him out of my mind?!'

Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud banging on the door. She groaned and jumped out of bed before looking out through the peep hole. It was the landlord. He was a middle aged man who was constantly grumpy. With a deep sigh, she opened the door just a little to poke her head out.

"Good morning, sir," she greeted before he shoved a letter in her face. Her head moved back a little as she took it from him. "What's this?"
"Your eviction notice."
Her eyes widened as her heart dropped. "Eviction notice?!" she gasped. "But why? I've been paying you rent!"
"I don't care!" he yelled. "You have no job! How will you continue paying the rent?!"
"I've been trying really hard. Please just give me a few more days," she begged with her hands clasped together. "I'll find something."
The landlord stroked his chin beard. "Fine. You've got until tomorrow."

Lyra had to take whatever she was given and agreed to the timescale. Once the landlord left, she closed the door and looked at the letter in her hand.

EVICTION NOTICE

It was written in big, bold, red letters.

"Shit..."

Forcing herself to get ready, she zoomed out of the house and began her job search. She went to every single building and practically begged all of them for a job. Even the ones who initially showed interest began refusing her. Her entire morning was spent trying to find work and she soon gave up hope. She felt completely dejected and hopeless, all sense of emotion had disappeared. Not knowing what to do or what to think, she allowed her feet to drag her to nowhere in particular. Her mind and body were numb knowing that she would soon be homeless. This time tomorrow, she'd be living on the streets.

Moments later, she found herself in the local park. It was completely empty. Finding a bench, she flopped down onto it. If she wasn't feeling so numb, she would have burst into tears as she opened up the notice and stared at it.

***

Sesshomaru's entire night went on focusing on his work. It took him longer than he anticipated though because that woman kept haunting his thoughts. He couldn't understand why he felt such a connection with her and why he was so concerned about her wellbeing. After seeing where she lived, anyone would have been concerned. But he didn't know her. He had only met her once. So why was he actively worried about her?

He was currently sat in his office and he finally finished his work after much distraction. He closed the lid of his laptop before checking his watch. Lunchtime. After he left the office, he made his way to the same café. He had already decided after the previous day's incident that he wasn't going to eat there anymore. But part of him wanted to check if that woman was there.

She wasn't.

He left and found a different café to lunch at instead. With no more work to do, he found his lunch hour to be dragging. He had finished his tea but sitting there was just so mind numbingly boring that he got up and left after a few minutes. To kill some time, he decided to take the longer route back to the office. Whilst walking passed a local park, his eyes widened. 'That scent...' He stopped walking and scanned the park, quickly finding her sitting alone on a bench. Again, it irritated him. 'Just when I thought I'd never see you again...'