Chapter 32

The rest of the day had gone far too quick for Lyra. Sesshomaru gave her a proper tour of the castle and made sure the servants and guards knew to remain extra vigilant. He ensured that two maids stayed nearby in case Lyra ever needed anything. To make up for the time that Sesshomaru would be away, they both made love that night and then he stayed with her until she fell asleep.

Lyra woke up knowing that Sesshomaru would have already left in the night, but she was still saddened that he was gone. She stayed in their bed, cuddled into the blankets. She could smell his scent. Still exhausted from the night before and from the lost sleep over the previous few nights, she decided to keep resting for as long as possible.

'I guess this is my life now. Well, for as long as Naraku is still alive... Once he's gone, I can explore my home world freely. And then in nine months time, I'll give birth.' She smiled to herself as she closed her eyes. 'I can't wait to tell dad that he's going to be a grandfather.'

***

Hospital doors slammed open as paramedics rushed a gurney through the corridors to the emergency unit. A nurse ran to the office and let himself in. He quickly caught his breath.

"Doctor! It's Renji Miyazaki!"
Kanda's eyes widened as he stood from his seat. "Let's go!"

They ran to the room Renji was in and the entire atmosphere was sheer panic. Another doctor was already there along with nurses and the paramedics. He could see even from standing at the door that Renji was suffering. His heart was failing him. Kanda rushed further in and got the low down of what was happening.

"His heart is weak, doctor. I fear there is nothing we can do for him," the other doctor informed sadly.

Kanda frowned and looked at Renji. They had put an oxygen mask on for him but it now looked as though he was just sleeping. However, everyone knew his time had arrived. Renji opened his eyes weakly to look up at Kanda. It looked as though he wanted to say something and he moved his hand, trying to remove the mask.

"No, sir. Keep it on," the other doctor said.

But Renji didn't listen. He wanted it off. The other doctor tried to move his hand but Kanda stopped him.

"Let him speak," Kanda said before asking the rest of the staff to leave so he could speak alone. He carefully pulled the mask away. "Mr Miyazaki..."
"Kanda..." Renji spoke, his voice weak. He was having to take deep breaths every few seconds. "I...left a note...for my daughter..."
Kanda crouched down a little. "Where?"
"My... My bed..."
Kanda nodded. "I will give it to her."
Renji closed his eyes, feeling his time becoming shorter. "Tell Lyra...not to cry... She will feel guilty...for leaving me alone...but..." He took a deep breath. "I will be with her mother now..."
Kanda tried to keep himself pulled together. "Y-yes, sir."
"And tell her...I...love her..."

Renji let out his final breath as the machine let out a long beep, signalling that he was gone. Kanda's breath got caught in his throat as he lowered his head. He dropped to his knees, his jaw clenching as a tear rolled down his cheek.

'I'm sorry, Lyra...'

***

Lyra felt a strange pang in her heart. She clutched onto the blanket and sat up quickly. A soft frown formed on her face. 'What was that strange feeling..?' Closing her eyes, she tried to see what was going on. She thought that perhaps her visions would reveal something to her. It would reveal what was wrong. However, she could see nothing.

She breathed out softly. "It was probably nothing." Opening her eyes, she looked around the empty room. "I may as well get up I guess. Ugh... Now I'm talking to myself."