Chapter 23

Lyra made Sesshomaru stop at her house so she could grab some spare clothes. As much as she loved the beautiful kimono Inukimi gave her, travelling in it wouldn't be ideal. She preferred the clothes she was used to and she wouldn't mind if they got a little dirty. She packed everything into a bag, including some treats for Rin.

Once she was ready to leave, she went to Sesshomaru who was standing by the open window. She looked back at her room and breathed out quietly.

"Lyra? What is it?" Sesshomaru asked as she stopped.
She smiled sadly and peered up at him. "I grew up here. I'm going to miss it..."
He gently stroked her cheek. "Take solace in knowing there will always be a place for you here."
"Yes. You're right."

She closed her eyes as he pressed his lips to her forehead. She was nervous about leaving everything behind. All of her possessions and friends. She wished she could see her friends and say goodbye to them properly but she knew they wouldn't understand like Kanda had. Plus she also knew they wouldn't be able to keep a secret. It was better that they thought she was dead. At least she would be taking all the good memories with her.

And with Sesshomaru, they would create even more happy and beautiful memories.

***

Returning to the feudal era felt so different compared to all the other times she had returned. She thought that it could have been due to knowing the truth about her birth. It was as though she felt complete. It was complete.

It only made it better that it was night and the galaxy was sparkling against the dark backdrop. After returning, Sesshomaru continued flying but Lyra didn't know where. She assumed they were just going to find Rin and Jaken, so she took the time to appreciate the view of the lands. Sesshomaru had been flying for a while though and she just had to know.

"Where are we going?" she asked.
"Somewhere," he replied.
She laughed and shook her head, resting her chin in her hand. "Could you be a little more specific?"
"No."
She whined slightly. "Sesshomaru, please tell me! The suspense is simply too much to handle."

He didn't respond, ignoring her dramatic pleads. Besides, they were close so she would be able to witness it for herself. Just a few moments later, he began his descent. As soon as Sesshomaru landed and placed her on her feet, she noticed that they were alone on a wide open field. The place was unrecognisable and there were no signs of anyone as far as the eye could see.

Lyra dropped her bag to the ground and slowly turned on the spot. They were literally in the middle of nowhere. There was only a wide expanse of grassy fields surrounding them. Looking up, she felt as if she was falling into space. The star filled sky swallowed all she could see and she loved it. A bright smile plastered onto her face as she spun with delight on the spot. Sesshomaru watched her run with her arms spread out bringing him a sense of content.

Lyra stopped running a short distance away and closed her eyes. The gentle breeze of the night was a reminder of the freedom she had craved in the other world. Being in the open lands was a blessing. She could breathe again.

The way her hair flowed with the waves of the breeze. The way she found joy in the simplest of things. The way her beautiful azure blue eyes would seek out his gold ones and then she would avert her gaze whenever she was shy. Those things possibly seemed insignificant to others, but to Sesshomaru it was those little things that made him love her. The scenery itself improved exponentially when she was a part of it.

Once Lyra had her fill of the crisp air, she breathed out contently and turned back to Sesshomaru.

"I absolutely love it here," she said as she walked over to him. "The billions of stars, the open air, the scent of the grass. And all around us it's as if the heavens are touching the earth."
Sesshomaru held her chin, gently brushing his thumb over her lower lip. "And you are my heaven on earth."
She blushed softly and smiled. "You're such a romantic," she said before reaching up on her tiptoes to peck his lips. "But why are we here?"
"Turn around."