Chapter 43

Kagome just stood there, frozen. Rin had been trying to grab her attention but all that happened was she fell to her knees and sobbed into her hands. Out of everyone, Inukimi was the first to wake up followed by Inuyasha and everyone else. Kaede was still out so Sango and Miroku went to help her.

Rin looked to the others. "What happened to Lord Sesshomaru and Lyra?" she asked, not understanding what had happened.
Inukimi turned to the child. "Where's Naraku?"
"He took Mikazuki and left..."
Inuyasha crouched down beside Kagome and hugged her to him. "Don't worry, Kagome. We'll find him."
Jaken tottered over. "What I don't understand is what happened to my Lord and Lady! Did that wretched monster kill them?!"
"No," Inukimi answered. "Sesshomaru could never be taken down so easily. Naraku must have used a cheap trick to trap him. And then he did the same to Lyra."
Miroku held his chin in thought. "I wonder where he could have sent them."

***

Naraku had reached his hideout. Mikazuki was still fast asleep. He was only mere hours old but with his father's blood coursing through him, he was already stronger than any child. It made him the perfect subject for his plan to mould him into the ultimate weapon. And with his mother's genes, his psychological ability would be second to none.

He went to his room and placed the baby onto the bed on the floor. The barrier was set around his hideaway and with his strength now, he knew that not even Inuyasha would be able to track him down.

"Sleep, child. Your transformation begins now." He smirked evilly. "Your parents will be so proud when they witness the man you become. Don't worry. They're still alive somewhere. But by the time they find you, it'll be too late."

Mikazuki slept peacefully. An innocent heart taken away from his parents before even gaining all the love from them.

***

Police sirens wailed down the street as they zoomed passed in the early of the morning. The blaring noise disturbed the silence in the one bedroom apartment. If it could even be called that. It was really only one room with a separate bathroom to the side. Other than that, the bedroom, kitchen and living area were all in one cramped space. There weren't even any curtains or blinds to block out the sun, the rays hitting the woman sleeping on the single bed.

Lyra stirred and rubbed her eyes before opening them. It was instant regret as the sunshine was way too bright for her to handle so early in the morning. She turned onto the side and yawned as she looked at the digital clock on the bedside table.

"It's only 8am? Jeez..."

She pushed the thin sheet, which was a poor excuse for a blanket, off her body and forced herself to sit up. With a quick stretch, she got up and walked to the bathroom. The laminate flooring felt cold under her feet but she was used to it. She pulled off her tank top and shorts before stepping into the shower. A shiver ran down her spine. The water was cold but the landlord didn't ever pay for hot water. But again, she was used to it. After her quick shower, she wrapped her body up with a towel and twisted her hair into another. Stepping in front of the mirror, she began brushing her teeth.

It was the same routine everyday. The same pattern for the past two weeks. But there was only one problem. She had no idea how she got to be there. In that apartment. Living that life. It was strange. She knew her name was Lyra. She knew how old she was. She somehow happened to know who her landlord was even the first time she had met him.

Nothing made sense.

She didn't know anything, but subconsciously she knew everything and everyone. She knew her neighbour, Old Man Bono. She smiled and waved at the regulars she passed everyday. People spoke to her as if they had known her for years but at the same time, she had only know them for two weeks. Yet she had knowledge about all of them. She also had a bank card and a passportm She thought that perhaps she was in an accident that made her lose her memories. It was a farfetched theory though. She knew she didn't have any family so she had to support herself and she needed to get a job. She had accepted that life.