Chapter 5

"You are the oracle."
Lyra stared at Bakuseno with a completely blank expression before quickly shaking her head. "No, no, no. You must be mistaken. I'm not an oracle. I arrived here by mistake. In fact, the first chance I get I'm going back home. And I'm never coming back."
Bakuseno continued to peer at her through his small eyes. "Take a look at what the future will be if you leave and then make your decision."

The tree demon's face suddenly faded away to reveal just a normal bark of the tree. No one would ever know he was even there. Lyra refused to listen to his words and tried not to think anything of it. She had no part in this era and she shouldn't even be there. It was a ridiculous idea that she would be an oracle of all things. Sesshomaru looked at her, seeing the denial in her expression.

'If she is the oracle, others will seek her out. Her life will be in danger. It is best this fact remains hidden.'

"Let's go," Sesshomaru suddenly ordered.

He walked passed Lyra and began to lead the way out of the woods as the others turned to follow him. The last thing he wanted was to have to protect another person, a human. He had no desire in using her to find out the fate of his future, nor did he care. The sooner he handed her over to Kagome, the better it was for him. It was one less thing he would have to worry about.

***

Jaken was constantly searching around for Sesshomaru. It seemed he had wondered off on his own again, leaving the rest of them behind while they were eating. Jaken continued to look for his master, including in the bushes and inside a small hole in the ground, looking down inside it and calling out for him. He grew frustrated and started yelling.

"Have you gone and left me once again?!"

Lyra sighed quietly, ignoring him and drowning out the sound of his annoying voice. She sprawled herself onto the grass staring up at the blue sky. Wisps of white clouds rolled by slowly, some of the leaves on the branches from the trees framing the heavens. The thought of being an oracle bothered her. In fact, it scared her. She refused to believe the fact she could see the future. It was impossible. That was the same as being one of those gypsy fortune tellers who everyone knew were phonies. But what she saw was real. When she saw what could happen to Inuyasha if he lost his sword, the images were extremely vivid. But what if he didn't lose his sword?

An image appeared of a normal Inuyasha, no bloodlust in his eyes and just the simple desire to protect his friends. Lyra suddenly flinched. The image disappeared and she was once more met by the beautiful sky. It had just happened again; two different versions of Inuyasha's future and it was all dependent on his sword.

Rin brought her out of her thoughts as she spoke. "Oh, Lord Sesshomaru. You're finally back!"
"Rin, I hope you have faired well."
She nodded with a smile. "Mhm. A and Un, Lyra and I have been on our very best behaviour. Jaken has become most melancholy though," she reported as she pointed to the imp.

Lyra tilted her head back to see an upside down image of Sesshomaru standing in front of Rin as she continued to lay on the ground. Jaken spotted his master and his mood instantly lifted. He gasped in delight and ran over to him.

"Lord Sesshomaru! What gives, my lord?" he asked as he looked up at him. "Why did you go alone after Inuyasha?"

Lyra didn't know that that was the reason Sesshomaru had gone. Sitting up at that point, she turned and looked in their direction. She didn't know why he didn't want to announce to them, apart from Jaken, where he was going, neither did she care, but she could put two and two together to figure out the reason why he went.

Sesshomaru didn't answer Jaken's question. He simply just stared down at him and that was enough for the imp to cower back slightly with a small bow.