Chapter 34

(Hey! Just to say I have not properly read through this chapter because I'm super tired so sorry for any mistakes. And also, if you haven't already, please check out my Sinbad story. I'd be super grateful. Thank you!)

The last thing Lyra wanted was to return to the castle and be alone. Sesshomaru had to resume his journey but seeing the state she was in, he couldn't bear to leave her alone either. She was still in the mourning and process and would be for a long time. It was safer for her to remain at his side where he could look after her and made sure she ate. He did return to the castle with her one more time though to retrieve the array of foods the chef had prepared. It would keep her going for a few days at least.

Lyra was so glad to be with Rin again. The cheerful young girl helped take her mind off Renji. At least during the day. When night fell, Lyra would cuddle into Sesshomaru's lap and think about her father. She wish she could move on quicker. But the thought of him in pain and alone made her heart break and she would cry herself to sleep. Sesshomaru would try to calm her but he thought it best for her to let out all of her emotions.

The last thing she wanted was for her to slow him down. Sesshomaru was sceptical but she insisted that he continue his journey like normal. It would serve as a coping mechanism so that she could slowly learn to move on. She couldn't just keep feeling sorry for herself.

Lyra had been sitting on top of A-Un but the motion was starting to make her feel sick. She climbed off the demon's back as they entered a path between the rocky canyons and went to walk beside Sesshomaru. She walked on his left side because apparently it was customary. If Sesshomaru was suddenly faced against an opponent then his hand would be free to attack or to take hold of his sword. It was tradition. Because she wanted to hold some part of him, she clutched onto his sleeve and brought it up to her nose so that she could sniff it.

Sesshomaru glanced at her. "What are you doing?"
"It helps with the sickness," she explained, her voice muffled into the fabric.

He looked ahead again, not questioning it any further.

The sun had lowered behind the horizon, allowing the stars to appear again for the night. They had made it quite deep into the valley between the canyons and there was a light mist hanging in the air. Rin then decided to begin a game of tongue twisters with Jaken.

"I'll go first," she said. "Red Jaken blue Jaken gold Jaken."
The little imp forced himself to play and repeated after her. "Red Jaken blue Jaken gold Jaken."
"Hey, you're pretty good."

Rin said it again but Jaken had already become fed up and refused to play. Rin tried to make him say it but it only caused the imp to whine in annoyance.

"I'll play," Lyra said, her voice still muffled by Sesshomaru's sleeve.
"Yay!" Rin cheered.
Lyra cleared her throat. "Red Ja-"

Sesshomaru suddenly came to a stop causing the rest of them to halt as well. Except for Jaken though, who went straight into the back of Sesshomaru's leg before falling back.

Lyra looked up at him. "What is it?"

He stayed looking ahead as an eerie flute playing began to echo across the canyon. Lyra stepped closer to Sesshomaru, clutching his sleeve tighter as the tune sent chills through her body. It was dark further ahead and she couldn't see anything except for the mist.

Soon, a woman appeared wearing a green and pink kimono. She was playing the flute, eyes closed as she walked towards them. Once she stopped, she lowered her flute before going down to her knees and bowing her head. She was a beautiful woman but Lyra wondered what she was doing out there all alone.

"It's been quite some time, Lord Sesshomaru," she spoke.

Her words confused everyone but Sesshomaru's expression didn't change.