Chapter 38

Lyra rode on top of Taiyo as they journeyed alongside Sesshomaru. Rajah was asleep, all cuddled up in her lap. She gently stoked his head as she gazed at Sesshomaru. He wasn't speaking much but she knew he had a lot on his mind. She was worried too. That nightmarish vision she had and then it starting to come true as Josei betrayed them.

At least they knew that Naraku wouldn't harm her. For the moment. They had to end him before she was due to give birth. That's what Sesshomaru was focused on. Naraku was only getting stronger and he needed to act quick.

"Lord Sesshomaru! Lady Lyra! You've returned!"

Jaken's excited voice could be heard as he ran over to them. Lyra looked at him, still not used to him being happy to see her. Although it had been over two weeks since she had seen them. Rin ran over as well, grinning brightly.

"Lyra!"

Sesshomaru helped Lyra down and she was instantly hugged by the little girl.

"Rin, I'm so happy to see you again," she smiled. "And you too, Jaken."
Jaken awkwardly scratched his cheek. "Uh, yeah..."
Rin gasped. "Your horse is so pretty!"

Taiyo instantly took a liking to Rin as she stroked her face. She giggled happily as Jaken suddenly let out a squeal.

"What is that in your arms?!" he asked.
Lyra looked down at the still sleeping cub. "He's my pet from Sesshomaru. He's a tiger. I named him Rajah."
Jake's eyes widened. "But they are dangerous creatures! It will be fully grown in just six months!"
"Uh-"
"But I suppose with Lord Sesshomaru around, it wouldn't dare harm anyone."
"Yes, and-"
"He will be trained in-"
Rin completely cut him off. "I'm so happy we have two new members!"
"Rin, how dare you interrupt me!"

Lyra laughed at them and shook her head before looking to Sesshomaru. He gave a nod of his head in confirmation. She looked at Rin and Jaken again.

"Actually, it's not two new members," she hinted at them.
Rin tilted her head. "What do you mean?"
Lyra's smile widened slightly. "Well-"
"Spit it out, woman!" Jaken yelled impatiently. Sesshomaru glared at him and he scrambled down in a bow. "I'm sorry! I meant to say please tell us, my Lady."
Lyra laughed quietly before smiling again. "Sesshomaru and I are having a baby."

It took a few moments for the news to register for the both of them. Their eyes moved in sync down to her stomach and they saw the slightly raised bump. Then both their expressions changed, both completely opposite. Rin's entire face lit up as she jumped up and down in excitement whereas Jaken's mouth hung open in complete shock.

"Yay!" Rin clapped her hands and stepped forward to have a closer look at the bump. "When is the baby coming?"
Lyra smiled as Rin put her hand on her bump. "Not for a few months still."
"Lord Sesshomaru will have an heir!" Jaken gasped.
Sesshomaru looked down at Jaken. "Naraku will come for the child the day Lyra gives birth," he informed.
The imp scowled. "Let him try! He won't get anywhere near the child!"
"It's a risk I am unwilling to take, Jaken. We must end him before the time comes."
"Y-yes, milord."

He could tell his master was deadly serious. And he knew he would be the one to go along with him, putting himself in danger.

"Lyra," Sesshomaru called, now turning his attention to her.
"Yes?"
"Remember what I have said."
She nodded. "I must stay with you at all times unless it is too dangerous to do so. If that happens then I must remain with Taiyo and A-Un and wait for your return."

She knew he wasn't taking any chances. He was going to search Naraku out and kill him no matter what the cost.

***

They had been walking for a while. They were walking beside a running stream and there was a light mist in the air. Sesshomaru was trying to find Naraku or even just a sign of him but it was proving to be difficult. Rajah was awake and he was playing with Rin and also terrorising Jaken throughout the journey. They were ahead as Sesshomaru and Lyra walked behind. Much to Sesshomaru's disapproval, Lyra decided to walk most of the time.