Chapter 40

Throughout the day, they continued on with their journey to find Naraku. And as always, they would rest at night. It was during that time when the baby would be more active and Lyra was getting ready to say goodbye to a full night's sleep once the baby was born.

"This baby is going to keep me up all night," she told Sesshomaru as she rested back against him.

The baby was still moving and fully active. His kicks were incredibly strong as well but that only made Sesshomaru proud of his son. He had his hand placed on her bump, gently rubbing over it to hopefully provide some sort of comfort for her.

"I will take care of him during the night," he said. "It's important for you to get rest once he is with us."
She tilted her head to look up at him and smiled warmly. "Thank you."
He gazed down at her. "It's nothing you should thank me for. He's my son and therefore my responsibility."

They were both pretty excited for the baby to arrive but Lyra could tell that Sesshomaru was incredibly anxious for that time to come. He just simply couldn't wait to finally see and hold his legacy in his arm.

Lyra leaned up and kissed the corner of his mouth. "I love you."
"And I love you, my beloved," he replied softly.

Reaching her hand up, Lyra cupped his cheek and brought him down to kiss his lips. Sesshomaru readily responded by kissing her deeply, tilting his head as their lips locked together. It had been a while since they had shared such a passionate moment together. With Lyra's hormones completely out of whack, the way he kissed her just turned her on. It didn't help that his hand had trailed down to her legs. He began stroking the inside of her thigh knowing that it would drive her crazy.

Lyra moaned softly against his mouth before parting from the kiss. Breathless, she still managed to make her request. "Make love to me, Sesshomaru..."
He gazed deeply into her eyes, clearly witnessing the desperation on her face. "No."
She was taken back in shock by his response. "Why not?" she asked, becoming quite offended.
"Because I said so."
"But I want to have sex with you."
"I said no, Lyra." His tone had become extremely serious. "We will not discuss this any further."

Lyra frowned in disappointment and got up from his lap, storming away before he could stop her. He simply watched as she went and sat on the opposite side of the clearing, which was the furthest she could get away without him fearing for her safety. She plonked herself down, carefully, but kept her back to him.

She began muttering under her breath. "Who does he think he is? Getting me all turned on and then rejecting me. Tch." She glanced over her shoulder but didn't look at him. "I know you can hear me and I don't care. I'm not going to beg for it if that's what you're waiting for."

She huffed and turned away again, her only entertainment being the trunk of the tree she was sitting in front of. She regretted placing herself there but she didn't want Sesshomaru to win in any way possible. She wanted him to think that she preferred to sit in front of a tree instead of in his lap.

Sesshomaru smirked. Her small outbursts were amusing to him. It reminded him of the time when she first joined them and she had a strop because she thought he didn't find her beautiful. He found it both funny and adorable at the same time. He rejected her request on purpose simply for that reaction. It was entertaining and he wished to see how long she would last.

Lyra did not move from that spot and Sesshomaru didn't move from his, which only annoyed her even more. It had been quite some time but she was adamant that she wasn't going to lose. 'Why isn't he coming to me?! God, he's so annoying!' Huffing, she leaned her elbow on her knee and rested her face in her hand. She was beginning to feel tired. She honestly would love to be sitting in Sesshomaru's lap and fall asleep against him but her pride was at stake. Slowly, her eyes began to close as the tiredness took over. Before she knew it, she was fast asleep but still sitting up.