Chapter 21

So many changes had occurred in Lyra's life within 24 hours. Her marriage to Kanda was over, she died, she came back to life, was told she had died and been revived before. And to top it all off, she found out she was part demon.

Nothing made sense.

"So... I'm, like, quarter demon?" she asked, completely flabbergasted.
Sesshomaru looked down at her. "It would explain why your scent is unique."
"Your mother was born to a human mother and an inu yōkai father," his mother added.

She pressed her fingers to her temple, closing her eyes as she tried to comprehend everything.

Inukimi began to explain her origins. "A little over 20 years ago, your father found his way down the bone eaters well and came here. Just like you."

Lyra looked up at her as both she and Sesshomaru listened carefully.

"Renji had a keen sense of adventure and travelled the lands before he was found by your mother. Renji and Hara soon fell in love. I remember Hara telling me about him. I have even met him. He visited my castle with Hara."
"That must be why he seemed so familiar," Sesshomaru realised.
"You despised the fact a human was invited in. It was your father's influence on me." Inukimi sighed softly. "They married and not long after, your mother gave birth to you. However, it cost her life. Sesshomaru's father had already died and Sesshomaru was travelling who knows where. I used the Meidō stone to bring her back. Hara was grateful and loved you with all her heart and more," she continued as she recalled distant memories. "You lived with your parents in a small house on the edge of a village. And you were all happy. The villagers accepted her even though she was half demon because she protected them from harm."
Tears fell from Lyra's eyes and she quickly wiped them away. "What happened to her?"
Inukimi looked at her. "A band of demons attacked the village on the day of your first birthday. There was no warning. Of course your mother tried to fight them off leaving Renji to escape with you. A couple of the demons managed to get past her, killing both you and your father."

At that point Lyra had buried herself into Sesshomaru's side, nuzzling into his mokomoko as she continued to learn the truth. He kept his arm around her waist, bringing her to him as he too listened to the story of her past.

"Hara was distraught obviously. She had managed to defeat the demons temporarily and brought you and Renji to me, begging me to save your life. For your mother's sake, I did. When you both awoke, I watched as Hara said her goodbyes to Renji. He tried to stop her but he understood. Your mother held you for the last time, kissing your entire face to make up for not being with you for the rest of your life. She made your father promise to leave these lands and return to his world so you could be safe."
"Why was she giving her goodbyes?" Lyra asked through shaky breaths, tears spilling from her eyes.
"She was going to sacrifice herself to the demons to save you, Renji and the villagers," she answered. "I have never seen your mother at her strongest. Even when you were unwilling to let go of her finger. That was when your father left to his world, vowing never to return."

It all made sense to her now. Everything added up in an instant. Ever since her father found out about her travelling down the bone eaters well, he had been acting differently. That was why he was so hell bent on keeping her away from Sesshomaru and forcing her to marry Kanda, even staking his own life for it. Lyra didn't cry out loud thinking of the sacrifice both her parents had made for her. Instead, her thoughts dug deep into her heart and it hurt, yet at the same time she was proud of both her mother and father. She breathed in deeply and lifted her head.

"Why couldn't you save her again?" Lyra asked her. "The way you saved me? Tenseiga couldn't revive me because I had already been revived. Yet you still gave me another chance. Why not my mother?"
"There was nothing left of your mother to save," Inukimi replied directly causing Lyra to close her eyes tightly. She could feel Sesshomaru soothing her head as she leaned into him whilst his mother continued to explain. "Besides, I could not allow your mother's sacrifice to be in vane. You were only an infant. And I could not allow the one thing Sesshomaru treasured to be taken away from him."
"I... I understand..."
Inukimi relaxed after having finished revealing Lyra's true past. "How is it you found your way back here?"
"The portal in the well leads to the well inside the shrine owned by my aunt's family. I believe that is how my father had come across it. When I went to visit them one day, something inside the well was calling out to me."
"You were born here. Your heart and soul will be forever connected to these lands."
"Home is where the heart is," Lyra added.
Inukimi smiled. "Precisely. Sesshomaru, take Lyra to rest now. I am certain you both have much to think about," she told them. Sesshomaru stood with Lyra before his mother spoke again. "And, Lyra, remain by my son's side."
"Forever, my Lady," she replied with a bow of her head as she held Sesshomaru's arm.
"On behalf of Sesshomaru's father and myself, I give you both my blessings."