Chapter 17

Lyra's eyes peaked open slowly. There was a raging and pounding storm in her head giving her the mother of all migraines. The room was dark but she couldn’t tell if it was day or night. She felt delirious, wondering how she got into her bed. She was laying on her front, most of her face buried into the plush pillow. The pain suddenly surged throughout her head making her groan and bury her face into the pillow more.

“You're awake,” a voice came.
Lyra turned her head to the side to see Kanda walk over and sit beside her on the bed. “Just about,” she mumbled.
“How are you feeling?”
She closed her eyes again. “Like all your fangirls are banging their drums of war in my head.”
He chuckled quietly. “Ouch. Do you think you can sit up?”

She slowly pushed herself up and turned to sit up against the pillows facing him. Looking at the room now, she saw all the blinds had been closed to block out most of the morning light. She also noticed she was still in her dress, which she was honestly grateful for. It would have been embarrassing if someone had to come and change her. All her makeup was smudged but Kanda didn’t say anything in case it made her feel uncomfortable.

“Here.” He gave her a couple of tablets and a glass of water.
“What are these for?” she asked, taking them from him.
“They’re pain killers. Extra strength so your headache will go away quicker.”
Lyra smiled a little before taking the tablets and swallowing them down with the water. “Thank you, doctor.”
He returned her smile and took the glass from her. “You should freshen up and I’ll order some breakfast for you.”
She gave a single nod, closing her eyes as she rubbed her forehead. “What time is it?”
“Just after 3p.m.”
Her eyes snapped open. “What?!” she yelled before clutching onto her head due to the pain.
Kanda held her hand. “Lyra, it's fine. Everyone knows how late it got last night. Just relax, okay?”
“Okay...”

Lyra slowly made her way to get out of bed, Kanda helping her up. As she stood, her head grew a dull pain and she began to feel dizzy slightly. Her brain was still frazzled and she needed to just take things slow. She rested her head against Kaunda’s chest to try and regain her composure. But he didn’t mind at all, loosely holding her around her shoulders. He didn’t want to rush her. It was then that Lyra spotted the extra duvet and pillow stacked neatly on the couch.

“Kanda? Did you sleep on the couch last night?” she asked quietly.
“I did. I wanted to make sure you were okay during the night.”
She lifted her head, looking up at him with a soft frown. “I would have been okay. You would have slept better in your room. Or...” She looked at her bed and the sheer enormity of it. “You could have slept on this bed. I wouldn’t have minded.”
Kanda smiled. “You need your own space. And besides, that couch is surprisingly comfortable.”
She looked up at him again. “You really are too good for me, you know that?”
“I should be saying that to you,” he said before pressing his lips to her forehead. “Now go.”

Lyra gave a nod before going into the bathroom. She closed the door behind her before leaning back against it. She lifted her hand up in front of her, looking at the large diamond ring on her finger.

‘No, Kanda. You seriously are way too good for me. You deserve so much better than me. And so does Sesshomaru. I’m weak. I’m a liar. On one hand, I have Sesshomaru. He’s given me his heart. A human. My actions are going to lead him to turn against humans again. He trusted me with his heart and I’m going to break it. I’m never going to see those mesmerising gold eyes of his or those special smiles he would show only to me.

‘And on the other hand, there’s Kanda. The kindest and sweetest man with a heart of gold. With or without the pact, he was willing to give his heart to me. So much trust. So many promises I simply cannot keep.