Chapter 19

"Kanda..."

Lyra was surprised to see him standing there but she hoped he hadn't heard anything. Kanda simply looked at her.

"Everyone thought you got lost so I came to find you," he told her.
She breathed a sigh of relief. "I just finished. I was on my way back. Let's go."

She put on a smile and went towards him. As she walked past him to return to the living room, Kanda grabbed her arm. Lyra stopped and looked at him, but he wasn't facing her.

"Tell me the truth, Lyra." His voice was empty, all the emotion in his voice disappeared.
She felt her heartbeat quicken. "About what?"

Kanda suddenly pulled her in front of him, making her almost trip over her own feet as he forced her to stand in front of him. Lyra had never seen such a look in his eyes before. That of betrayal. She furrowed her brows with worry. Her lies had been discovered.

He clutched onto her forearms. "You know damn well what!" he yelled, keeping his voice low so he didn't attract attention. "I heard you on the phone."
Lyra lowered her head, too ashamed to meet his gaze. "I'm sorry..." she whispered. She cursed herself for being such a fool.
"Sorry? Lyra, do you even want to marry me?" he asked her with hurt evident in his tone. "Answer me." Again, he was met with silence. "Lyra, answer me!"
"No!" she shouted, lifting her head up to look him in the eyes. Her expression softened upon seeing his face. "No... I'm sorry..."
Kanda frowned, his brows knitting together slightly. "And this?" He held her wrist and held her hand up, the diamond ring prominent on her finger. "This means nothing to you?" His tone had turned more to hurt.

Lyra lowered her head, shaking her head as she did so. She could offer no explanation because she had nothing to say. He had heard everything. And yet she still couldn't tell him the truth about the ultimatum her father had given her. Tears fell from her eyes and she quickly closed them to stop more from escaping. Kanda watched her and the state she was in. He had heard everything from the point where she said she loved Sesshomaru with all her heart to everything after that. The most prominent fact stuck in his mind that this man had proposed to her before and they had had sex. He heard her explanation, that she gave up the one she truly loved just to spare his feelings and to keep everyone happy. Kanda felt both sorry for her but anger at the same time. And he needed to take action.

He gripped her wrist and began pulling her along with him. Lyra lifted her head, her eyes widening slightly as she was dragged behind him towards the living room. Upon entering the room, everyone instantly felt the tension and were shocked at the way Kanda had brought her in. They all stood, knowing something was wrong especially seeing Lyra standing meekly beside him with her head lowered.

Kanda spoke before anyone could ask. "The marriage is cancelled."

Everyone's eyes widened in shock, all of them letting out a gasp. Kasai felt light headed and almost lost balance before Kuba managed to catch her and sit her down. Kimi went over to fan her as Renji froze, looking at Lyra.

"What are you talking about?" Kuba asked. "Have you gone mad?"
Kanda continued to speak with determination. "I can't marry someone whose heart already belongs to another."
"What?"
"You heard me, dad. Lyra is in love with someone else."

The room fell fairly silent as they tried to make sense of the news. Lyra simply couldn't bear to see anyone's reaction. She couldn't even look at Renji knowing he would be royally pissed off. Everyone had figured out Kanda was telling the truth because of her lack of denial. The truth was out now. She didn't have to lie anymore.

She could hear Kasai almost having a nervous breakdown while Kimi tried to keep her calm. However, Kanda still kept hold of Lyra's hand. Even at a time where she had hurt him, he was unwilling to let go of her. She didn't want to cry, it wouldn't help the situation. But her heart was racing with fear. She didn't know what to say or how to explain herself.