Chapter 59

• Five years later •

Mikazuki might have only been eight years of age but he had already started sword training. Much to Lyra's displeasure, of course. She argued a lot with Sesshomaru when he first told her that he wished to train him in the art of sword fighting. However, when Mikazuki practically begged her to let him practice, she just couldn't say no.

Mikazuki wasn't a spoilt child. Lyra did spoil him sometimes simply because she still felt guilty for not being with him for a month after he was born. She still held onto that heartbreak and she knew how much he had suffered even though he couldn't remember any of it. Still, Mikazuki was well behaved and disciplined, wanting nothing more than to make his parents proud and to be a role model to Ryu and Rai.

The twins, on the other hand, were a different story. They were hyperactive, destructive and always left a mess in their wake. They drove Lyra crazy. To be fair, they were only five years old but with two of them, it was hectic from morning till night. However, they both listened to Sesshomaru. He would simply have to look at them and they would become such well-behaved children.

Currently, Sesshomaru had taken Mikazuki to police the lands, making sure that everything was in order. They had just returned home and the moment they entered, all they heard was some crashing sounds and something smash in the background. They both stopped walking in the entrance hall and Sesshomaru sighed deeply. Mikazuki's eyes widened as he stayed standing beside his father. And then they heard Lyra's yelling.

"Ryu! Rai! Come back here!"
"You have to catch us first!" they giggled.

The twins suddenly came running out to the entrance hall with Lyra chasing after them. They started running in circles around Sesshomaru and Mikazuki as Lyra tried to catch them. Sesshomaru was unimpressed by the commotion.

"Ryu. Rai," he called sternly.

Their laughing instantly ceased and they halted to a stop in front of their father. Lyra stopped running too but she began breathing heavily, panting as she held her knees.

Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes at the twins. "What is the meaning of this behaviour?"

They both lowered their heads.

"We're sorry, father," Ryu said.
"We were only playing," Rai said.
Sesshomaru sighed. "Look at what you've done to your mother. Do you think that's fair?"

They both looked at Lyra as she stood straight again, wiping the sweat from her forehead. They returned their gazes to the floor.

"No, father," they replied together.
"So? What are you going to do?"

They both went to Lyra and looked up at her.

"We're sorry, mother."
She breathed out. "Apology accepted. But boys, I can't keep chasing after you all the time. I'm not as young as I used to be."
Mikazuki tugged on her sleeve. "You're only 28. Father is 500 years older than you."
She sighed. "Yes, yes. Thank you, Mikazuki, for being a know-it-all."

Mikazuki looked quite upset by her response and pouted sadly. Lyra shook her head and kneeled down to his level.

"I'm sorry, Mikazuki. I'm just so tired."
He smiled happily. "It's okay."

He pecked the tip of her nose, which made her smile. She then looked at the twins.

"Now, why can't you two be like your older brother?"

Mikazuki slyly stuck his tongue out at them and they gasped dramatically. They started pointing at him and he quickly hid his tongue again.

"He just stuck his tongue out at us!" they exclaimed loudly.
She shook her head. "I don't want to hear it. I-..."