Chapter 4

The next day had once again been uneventful. When the third night fell, Sesshomaru sent Jaken to retrieve his sword from Kaijinbo. Rin had just finished eating her fish and was now playing with A-Un. Lyra was still eating her own meal slowly when she noticed that there was still one fish left grilling by the fire. Sesshomaru hadn't eaten. Although, she had never recalled seeing him eat anything before. Picking up the stick, she got up and sat beside him, holding the fish out to him.

"You haven't eaten," she stated quietly.
Sesshomaru looked at the fish before turning his attention to her. "I don't eat human food."
She lowered the fish and raised a brow. "So, what do you eat. Dog food?" She giggled to herself at her own joke before seeing his unamused expression. Coughing awkwardly, she stopped laughing. "Sorry, that was terrible."

Sesshomaru simply stared at her and Lyra felt as though he was staring for a bit too long, making her feel embarrassed. She looked away from him and took a small bite from her fish. When she checked to see if he was still staring, she saw his eyes still glued to her face. It made her regret ever coming over to talk to him.

"Uh, so..." she coughed again. "I don't mean to pry, but...what happened to your arm? You don't have to answer me if you don't want to," she added quickly.
He finally looked away from her and turned his attention to nowhere in particular. "Inuyasha cut it off when I tried to claim the Tessaiga."
Lyra silently wished she didn't ask since this subject seemed a lot deeper than she first thought. "Who is this Inuyasha? I keep hearing about him."
"A half breed; half demon and half human. My half brother," he answered.
She could hear the venom in his voice. "I see."
"My father died protecting him and his human mother," he continued. "He left behind two swords; the Tessaiga, which can defeat a thousand enemies, and the Tenseiga, which can save a thousand lives. Despite knowing my goal to gain more power, my father left me with the Tenseiga and entrusted the Tessaiga to that half breed. My father had left the Tessaiga in his grave for Inuyasha but when I tried to take it, it refused me. However Inuyasha was unable to retrieve it either. The one who did was your cousin."
"Kagome?" Lyra stated with surprise.
Sesshomaru continued. "We both fought for the very same sword Inuyasha later used to cut off my arm."

Lyra listened carefully as Sesshomaru explained it all. It seemed as though he found it easy to open up to her and she was more than happy to listen to him.

"I believe that perhaps the sword your father gave you is the more powerful one," Lyra said after a short while. Her words surprised him but she continued. "Anyone can slay enemies. Anyone can kill. But no one can bring another being back to life. Take Rin for example." They both looked at her and Lyra smiled as they watched her laugh and play. "You brought back this little girl although you didn't have to. I think that's true power. Your father must have believed the Tenseiga was best suited for you."

Sesshomaru returned his attention back to Lyra who was still watching Rin with a smile. He found it so odd the way she saw the situation in a different light. No one else had put that perspective on the swords. Sesshomaru didn't actually know the power behind his sword, and he wouldn't understand it for a long time, but Lyra had managed to grasp his father's plan instantly.

Sesshomaru's gaze hardened as he looked away from her. "How could you possibly know what my father would have wanted?" he spat rhetorically.

Lyra snapped her eyes to him as her smile slowly dropped, watching him stand up.

"Pathetic," he said aloud before he walked away.

Lyra watched him leave as she let out a deep sigh. Rolling her eyes, she stood from the ground and returned to Rin.

Sesshomaru didn't quite know what he was more upset about. The fact he opened up and spoke so freely about it to her, or her response to it. He had no reason to tell her. He could have simply refused to ever speak of it. Yet he still did. 'Why?' And even though he did, was he expecting her to agree with him? Did he want her to be on his side and agree that his father's decision was wrong? Her opinion was apparently important to him at that point and he loathed that fact.