Chapter 48

It was another few days in the office and Lyra couldn't forget about the dream she had. She never saw it again after that. However, whenever she saw Sesshomaru, there was an uneasy sensation in her heart. There were times she would often catch herself staring at him. Not only herself, Hokori would catch her staring as well.

When Sesshomaru was in his office, Hokori got up from her desk and stood in front of Lyra's. She had her arms crossed and her hip cocked to one side as she looked down at her. Lyra glanced up from her screen.

"Is something wrong, Hokori?" she asked.
"The only thing wrong here is you," Hokori spat at her.
Lyra blinked and furrowed her brows. "Excuse me?"
Hokori placed her palms down on the desk and leaned forward to be intimidating. "I've seen the way you've been ogling at Sesshomaru."
"Ogling? What?" she asked, confused.
"Don't be so stupid!" she said angrily but still trying to keep her voice down. "I'm not blind. Stay away from him."
"Seriously, I don't want him. I have Kanda," Lyra said trying to remain calm.
Hokori scoffed. "Listen, I don't know what game you're playing here but if you so much as look in Sesshomaru's direction, I will end you. I can have you fired," she snapped her fingers, "just like that." She slammed her hand down again. "You're lucky he gave you this job. But remember, you are just a charity case to him."

Lyra just stayed staring up at her for a few seconds before her gaze lowered. There was no way she could lose her job and she knew Hokori had the power to do it. She could have her fired in a split second. Hokori stood straight and smirked, folding her arms again. She knew her threat will have worked.

Just then, Sesshomaru walked out and Hokori quickly looked at him. Lyra kept her eyes glued to the screen.

"What are you doing?" he asked Hokori.
She smiled sweetly and waved her hand. "Lyra just needed my advice on something. Nothing more."
"Very well." He then looked at Lyra. "Lyra, are you free tonight?"
She kept her eyes on the screen and pretended to type something. "Yes, I am."
He found her behaviour odd but continued. "I wish to invite you to the party the company will be hosting to celebrate our global success. It will be held at the Shangri La Hotel and I expect you to be there."
She gave a curt nod. "Yes, sir. May I bring Kanda with me?"
Sesshomaru breathed out quietly. "Of course. I'll give you the details after lunch."

She nodded again, all without looking at him. Sesshomaru frowned softly before glancing at Hokori to see her smirking.

"I believe it is time for you to go on lunch, Hokori."
"Oh, is it that time already?" she smiled and stepped towards him before kissing his cheek. "See you soon, sweety."

She gave one last warning glance at Lyra before leaving towards the elevator. Once she had left, Sesshomaru remained standing there with his attention now on Lyra. She still hadn't moved her eyes away from the screen.

"Lyra?"
"Yes, sir?"
He hesitated. "Are you okay?"
"I am, thank you."
"Come into my office."
She gulped. "Yes, sir."

She reluctantly got up and followed him into his office. She stopped walking once she was in the office but didn't move anywhere beyond in front of the door. Sesshomaru closed it and stood to her side, facing her. Still, she kept her head down.

"What's wrong?" he asked.
"What do you mean?" she asked, lifting her head but not turning to look at him. "Nothing is wrong, sir."
"Did Hokori say something to you?"
She shook her head. "No," she lied.
He breathed out in frustration. "Look at me."
"Excuse me?"
"I said, look at me."

She became silent. Even though Hokori wasn't there, her threat still lingered in her mind. She couldn't lose her job. Sesshomaru grew more annoyed and frowned, his eyes narrowing. Losing his patience, he suddenly grabbed her upper arm and spun her to face him before grabbing hold of her other arm. She gasped, her eyes widening as she was forced to look at him. The moment her eyes found his, she was trapped. Those golden orbs were simply melting away all her barriers. She felt almost frightened but she couldn't look away.