Chapter 41

After making love to her in the night, Sesshomaru stayed with Lyra as she slept. He remained by her side for as long as he could before leaving. She already knew beforehand that he would be gone before she woke. However, she knew how pressing matters were. Kagura was dead because Naraku was strong enough not to need her anymore.

Lyra was to stay in the castle until after the baby was born. Their palace was the safest place in the world. The barrier around the palace was impenetrable and undetectable unless Sesshomaru allowed it. The maid who betrayed them, Josei, may have told Naraku that Lyra was due to give birth, but behind the barrier he wouldn't be able to find her.

She didn't know how long Sesshomaru would be gone that time round. However, he seemed to have brought back Rajah at some point in the night. The little cub and Sabu were her main company but she tried her best to keep her mind off Sesshomaru by helping around the castle. When she entered the kitchen, the chef was simply shocked. He tried his best to make her leave because it wasn't right for the Lady of the palace to do any chores. Especially since she was due to give birth. However, Lyra convinced him to teach her how to prepare meals so that she may cook for Sesshomaru and their son.

"And maybe one day, I can cook for all of you," she suggested excitedly.
"Please, my Lady," the chef begged, clasping his hands together. "Lord Sesshomaru will end me."
She smiled with a shake of her head. "Sesshomaru won't do anything to you. Trust me. So, please, I would be honoured if you could teach me. I'm ever so bored."
Reluctantly, the chef sighed in defeat. "Very well, my Lady. But please do not overexert yourself."
"Don't worry. If I feel tired, I will rest."

For the next few days, Lyra learned how to cook. She already knew how to make certain dishes from her aunt, but the palace chef made even more things that wasn't available in the modern world. He used spices and flavourings she had never even heard of before.

But it was something that kept her occupied. The baby was a lot more active and she put it down to him not being able to sense his father. She was sure the baby had gotten used to hearing Sesshomaru's voice. At night, she would lay in bed and talk to the baby hoping that he could hear her. She would speak of her concerns for the future and praying for the end of Naraku so that they could finally live in peace. The baby would move and kick even more during those times, possibly reacting to her emotions.

Lyra did notice something though. It had been a long while since Sesshomaru had left and not only had the baby grown, her bump had lowered slightly. Sabu was the one who told her that the baby was getting into position to enter the world. She was both excited and nervous. She would finally be able to meet her son, but she was concerned that Sesshomaru would miss the most crucial part of the pregnancy.

One night when she was relaxing in bed, rubbing her hand over her bump, her mind was stuck on Sesshomaru. She had no idea where he was or what he was doing. She had no doubt that he was still alive because she knew that if he was dead, Naraku would have succeeded already. The world would be in chaos without his power. Other demons and humans alike were fearful of him and for good reason. As those thoughts filled her mind, she was overtaken by a vision of the future.

Sesshomaru was battling against some sort of demon. He looked like one of Naraku's incarnations or some part of him. However, it also wasn't Naraku. The demons voice echoed in her ears.

'I know you can see me. You can hear me. I am Magatsuhi; the evil will of the shikon jewel,' he chuckled menacingly. 'I will end your precious Sesshomaru.'

She was then overcome by an image of razor sharp tentacles piercing Sesshomaru's body in multiple places. It was too much for him to heal himself and he was soon swallowed up by some sort of cocoon.