Chapter 37

It was deep into the night. Lyra was still in bed, sleeping peacefully now that Sesshomaru had returned. While she slept, Sesshomaru sat outside on the veranda but leaning back against the wall near the door so he could still check on her.

He thought back to what had occurred while he was away. Naraku had found his way to the border of the afterlife. To his father's grave. Inuyasha was there also and Sesshomaru had decked him in the jaw for disrespecting their father's grave. Despite that, Naraku's barrier was strong. Sesshomaru was able to disturb it but he was unable to destroy it completely. Naraku tried to attack him with his sharp tentacles but his attempts were wasted as Sesshomaru destroyed them all.

In the end, Inuyasha's Tessaiga gained a new power from Hosenki, an old friend of their father. He destroyed the barrier and Naraku was left defenceless. Kagome shot an arrow at Naraku, both he and the arrow disappearing back to the world of the living. Because of all the miasma that had accumulated, Sesshomaru and Jaken led the way out for the others.

Hearing a quiet mewling, he looked down to see the tiger cub sitting and staring up at him. He mewed again wanting attention. Sesshomaru looked into the room and saw Lyra was still asleep. The cub let out another meow making Sesshomaru look to him again.

"Rajah," he spoke quietly as he stroked the cub's head. "You didn't wish to disturb her?" The cub simply meowed in response. "I have not been the best she deserves. Once Naraku is dead, I will be able to give her whatever desires," he spoke softly. "That is why I must end him quickly. I could give her the world yet that would not be enough. She deserves more." Sesshomaru looked at the cub, who staring up at him before he mewed again, causing him to sigh. "Why am I telling you this? You're just a cat. I'll have the servants take care of you."

He held Rajah in his hand before getting up. He looked towards Lyra to check if she was still asleep. She was. Quietly, he left the room in search of a servant.

Lyra smiled softly to herself having heard everything before falling asleep again.

***

The next morning, Sesshomaru was sitting beside Lyra as she continued to sleep. He didn't want to disturb her since it was the most she had slept since he left two weeks previous. Rajah was already up again and playing with the butterflies in the garden. Sesshomaru gently stroked his fingers through her hair, watching the serenity on her face. Turning his gaze down to her stomach, he saw how much the baby had grown already. Demon children developed at a faster rate in the womb so her bump would be visible to everyone soon. It would be difficult to hide.

Moving his hand down, he placed it on her small bump and stroked his thumb over the material of her kimono. He still couldn't quite believe that she was carrying his very own child. He was going to become a father thanks to the woman he loved. He had been responsible for Rin anyway but it was going to be so much more different. That child was a symbol of their love. That child was of their own blood. Just a single night of making love to her had created something so beautiful.

"Se-... Sesshomaru..."

He looked at Lyra's face. She was still asleep but her expression showed pain making Sesshomaru worry. She began to stir, mumbling more in her sleep.

"No..." she breathed out and shook her head. "No..!"

Her breathing became shallow and quick. Sesshomaru cupped her cheek and frowned.

"Lyra, wake up," he called softly.

She shook her head side to side, her panting becoming more harsh as sweat began forming on her forehead. Sesshomaru grew more concerned as he tried to wake her up. But she wasn't responding. Her arms and legs began flailing.