Chapter 2

Lyra had been following the odd three all day and the sun had just started to dip below the horizon. She doubted they even knew she was following them at all. She began to lose hope she would ever find Kagome. She didn't now what sort of trick was being played on her but her will to survive was strong. Although she had no idea where they were going or who they were, staying with them was her best chance of survival. A little girl was travelling with them so they couldn't be dangerous. They were still walking amongst the trees and she wondered if they even knew where they were going. At one point, the girl announced she was hungry and they stopped by a lake to go fishing. The smell of the fish cooking on the fire had wafted over to her and her stomach growled terribly as she stayed crouched behind some bushes.

'I need to get some food so one or I'm gonna starve to death.'

There were a few things she had learned that day. One, the little annoying man who was always so mean to the girl was not a man, but a walking and talking frog. Two, the one with the long white hair was a man. She had not yet seen his face as she remained behind them but she could tell from his voice. Though, he didn't talk very much at all. Sometimes he wouldn't talk for hours. Three, the little girl was called Rin, the frog-man was Jaken, and the white haired man was called Lord Sesshomaru. Perhaps being a lord would do Lyra some favours and maybe he could help her get home.

Sesshomaru was surprised by how long the human had stayed hidden, not letting her presence be known by even Jaken. She was certainly light on her feet. But a lowly human wouldn't be able to last long without proper food and water. He doubted she would last much longer.

The trio had set up camp for the night and Lyra took refuge behind the large trunk of a tree. It started to grow cold again and Lyra realised how much she took central heating for granted. Oh, how she wished she could sit with them beside the fire. She leant her back against the tree, wrapping her arms around herself, a pathetic attempt on shielding herself from the cold.

"Jaken, watch Rin."

Lyra heard the man speak.

"Where are you going, Lord Sesshomaru?" Jaken asked flustered. "Uh, L-Lord Sesshomaru..?"

Lyra peaked her head around the tree to see the man walking away from the camp, his hair swaying lightly with each step. Sighing quietly, she leaned back against the tree again and decided to get in as much sleep as she could get. Hopefully she would wake up before they left.

She didn't notice how tired she was until she fell asleep straight away. With the lack of food, she didn't have any energy and she felt so much weaker. A twig snapping in the distance had woken her up with a start. It was completely dark but her eyes quickly adjusted in time to see the bushes in front of her rustling. Her heart panged in her chest, her eyes focused sharply ahead of her. Just a second later, a wolf slowly emerged from the bushes bearing its fangs at her. A low and dangerous rumble emitted from its throat as if to taunt its prey.

Her breath got caught in her throat as she slowly began to stand up, trying her best not to make any sudden movements. The wolf growled and snarled at her only making her heart pound faster. She knew there was no chance of escape. If starvation didn't claim her life, this wolf surely would. She was cursed ever since she heard that sound coming from the well in the shrine. This is how she would die. Her eyes were glued to the wolf's very own and she could see the hunger coursing through them.

A loud screeching went through Lyra's ears, her hands instantly shooting up to shield them from the noise. She witnessed the wolf's eyes widen in fear, whimpering and turning to the direction of the screeching. A second later, a huge monster came flying through the trees before capturing the wolf in its huge jaws and killing it in one bite. The blood completely drained from Lyra's face as she saw what could only be described as a giant, flying millipede with a face. If she wasn't dreaming before, she was definitely having a nightmare now.