c h a p t e r 16 | we're going home

C H A P T E R  16 | WE'RE GOING HOME

"Everything okay?"

I stare blankly at the telephone hoping Haze hasn't gone out of his mind. It's been about a month now since I'd ran away. Although I know my disappearance won't keep the people searching for me away long enough, I wanted to get back home.

"Haze, he plans on fighting your dad."

Vince's eyes narrow. "Really?"

"I just don't think this is a good time for Haze to be fighting anyone." I said walking back to the car. "Maybe I should go back there."

"No."

"We shouldn't have left." I admitted.

"You'll get hurt, or worse." He says.

"You mean die? If Victor wants me he can have me. I'm not gonna let him hurt anyone else." I said.

"Elaina. I get it okay your this strong person who always wants to help the people she cares about but this times different, we can find another way."

I shook my head. "What if something happens?"

"I believe everything happens for a reason." He sighs. "And I think you shouldn't be so cruel to you mom because if it hadn't been for her leaving you'd never have met Haze."

He was right and I was just to stubborn to believe it.

"Ready to get going? We're almost there." My mom says hopping into the car. Here we go again.

A few hours later the car pulled to a halt at a log house. It looked abandoned and probably infested with spiders. It was tucked away in the middle of some forest of mostly dying trees. I got out of the car feeling my feet almost cave into the ground.

"This is the place?" I asked cautiously looking around. "Seems a bit, rundown."

My mom nods her head walking up the steps to the front door. "This is where I went when I had to leave. It's a lot nicer inside."

Hmm. She pushed open the door to reveal and actually cozy looking place. It was a bit chilly inside but nonetheless. "We should all get some sleep. Bedrooms are down the hall."

Vince and I carried away into the hallway where we chose out the first bedrooms we could find. The bed was made nicely inside with a few pillows and blankets.