c h a p t e r 02 | i miss you

C H A P T E R  02 | I MISS YOU

It's been two weeks since Haze left for college. Possibly the most stressful two weeks of my life. I was much busier with the gang and now that most of them were leaving it was even tougher. Noah, Gregg and Holly had already packed up and left early this morning. Val and Vince are the only ones staying behind and sadly it's because they can't afford college.

"Are you leaving to Denton?" Kathy asks me. Her eyes watch as I start putting a few boxes outside the front door.

I dust off my hands and shook my head. "I'm actually going to be staying in the south now."

"You know you could stay here Elaina you're always welcome." Kathy says putting her hand on my shoulder for comfort.

"I-" I'm caught off guard when I see Lucy playing behind her. I couldn't put this family in any danger. "I know, I just think it's more convenient."

"You aren't wrong about that, but be careful okay? I also want to be seeing you check up once and a while."

"I will." I tell her.

Vince packed up my boxes in his truck and I said goodbye to Kathy and Lucy who didn't like the idea of me leaving again. I was using the guest bedroom in Val and Vince's house.

"Haze?" I said when I got the unexpected call. I was almost done unpacking the remaindering items.

"My mom called. Something about you leaving to the south?" He says.

"Yeah, I just thought it would be easier." I said collapsing on the bed. "Especially with Victor still out there."

"I think that's especially why you should have stayed. They don't have anyone to protect them." Haze reminds me.

I quickly sit up. "You think he'll go after them?"

"No."

There's was a silent pause for a moment.

"I'm sorry." Haze sighs. "Maybe this whole college thing was a dumb idea, especially at a time like this."

"Haze. Everything is fine here." I stated. "Please just stay in school. I don't need you worrying."

"How can I not worry?"

I nodded my head even if he couldn't see it. He was right I would worry too. But I would do anything I could to protect Kathy and Lucy. So we decided to end the call with a simple, bye.