78 : The Winds of Winter

(In the Battlefield)

Everyone watches with baited breath as the dust settles. When it settles they see Blastoise and Arcanine facing each other but neither moving a muscle. They stay like that for a minute. Suddenly Blastoise's face starts shows a sign of grimace and it collapses onto one knee. A huge gasp goes through the stadium. Then suddenly Arcanine's body slouches and it's feet start shaking which causes another gasp. Then Blastoise collapses onto both of its knees and a huge gasp goes through the stadium. Following that Arcanine gives a howl before it's face contorts and it completely collapses. The moment Arcanine faints a huge roar erupts among the spectator.

"Arcanine is unable to battle. Blastoise wins." Referee announces as the stadium erupts in deafening cheer while both trainers recall their Pokemon into their Poke-ball.

"Oh dear. It seems you won this battle." Serena says in a sarcastic tone while thinking 'You may win the battle but I will win the war.'

'Don't think I don't know you are up to something my dear.' Ash thinks to himself while smiling back as they both enlarge their Poke-balls.

"Let's see whether you have what it takes to take on this Pokemon my dear." Ash says as he tosses his Poke-ball.

"We'll see who handles who." Serena says as she simultaneously tosses her Pokemon.

(In the VIP Box)

"So Ash takes the early lead. That's good." Brock says.

"I would hardly call that a lead. Ash won by the length of a hair." Lucy replies.

"Yes but winning by the length of a hair or by a mile is still winning." Cynthia points out.

"Yup. But any thoughts on the overall battle?" Gary asks.

"It was the Aqua Ring that made the difference." Goodshow remarks.

"Indeed." Gary says while seconding with Goodshow's observation.

"What do you mean?" May asks in a confused tone.

"You see Aqua ring not only protected Blastoise from those Fire Blasts but every time it was used it also healed a portion of Blastoise's health." Brock explains.

"I get it now." May replies.

"Though that wasn't the only thing was it?" Paul says.

"What do you mean Paul?" Roark says.

"The moves Serena used. Several of them were Recoil type moves like Wild Charge and Flare Blitz. So that recoil damage also made an impact." Paul says as the VIP box explodes with murmuring.

"It's not just that. The final move Ash used. That Water Pulse. That made the difference between defeat and victory." Bertha remarks.

"Yes. Mega Launcher. You are quite right." Seibold says while agreeing with Bertha's observation.

"Indeed. Since Water Pulse is a Pulse type move it gets powered up by Mega Launcher. This made the final attack more powerful than it's limit." Diantha says.

"All in all. We can all agree that this was quite the opening battle. If the rest of the match goes like this, then this would be the perfect opportunity to reopen the Pokemon League." Goodshow says in a pleased tone as the remaining members of the Pokemon League board look pleased as well.

"Sure that would be good. But still be very careful what you wish for." Lance says.

"What do you mean?" Goodshow says.