31 : The Art of Evasion

(Next Morning)

Ash, Serena, Clemont, Dragon Emperor and all the Pokemon are finishing their breakfast.

"Alright. Clemont now it is back to your Tauros for training. Time to get going." Dragon Emperor says while getting up.

"Right." Clemont says while recalling all of his Pokemon into their Poke-ball. "See you 2 at lunch." Clemont says while waving his hands and walking away to his spot.

"Alright. Now have your Pokemon run 20 laps around the edges of that clearing. You 2 will only run 5. Now go." Dragon Emperor says while pointing to the clearing.

"Right." Serena and Ash reply with tone of determination as they run off along with their Pokemon.

(30 Minute Later)

"Well Ash I am quite impressed with your Snorlax. I thought it will take it at least 50 minutes to complete 20 laps. You have raised it quite well." Dragon Emperor says while Snorlax finishes his 20th lap while panting.

"OK the rest of you 30 normal push ups for the trainers and Snorlax. Everyone else do 50. Snorlax will begin after a 10 minute rest." Dragon Emperor says while Snorlax sits down on the ground with a thud.

(20 Minutes Later)

"Alright. Your warm up is now complete. 10 minute break. Then your Pokemon practical training lesson will start." Dragon Emperor says while opening a water bottle and offering it to Ash and Serena.

"Thanks." Serena says before drinking some water. She then gives the bottle to Ash and wipes her sweat. Ash does the same.

(15 minutes Later)

"Alright today we shall practice one of the most important components of a Pokemon battling. That is the art of evasion." Dragon Emperor says as all the Pokemon are standing in a line behind Ash and Serena.

"You are going to teach us various techniques of dodging attacks." Ash asks.

"Yes and yes. Dodging is an extremely important part of Pokemon battles. If statistics are to be believed around 40% of the battle is spent in evading and avoiding attacks." Dragon Emperor says before pausing.

"Mastery of the art of dodging attacks is essential if you wish to become a Pokemon master. Always remember the key phrase DAFT. D stands for diversion, A stands for Agility, Acrobatics and Adaptability, F stands for Fast and T stands for Terrain. Now I shall demonstrate one by one what do each of these letters mean. Alright come out Raichu, Meganium, Steelix, Sylveon, Dusclops and Dragonite." Dragon Emperor says while tossing 6 Poke-balls.

"Alright for the first letter D. D stands for diversion. Diversion means that you use another medium as a shield or a technique with which you can hide yourself. The most common method is this. Steelix use Flash Cannon. Raichu double team to dodge." Dragon Emperor commands. "Even you two must have seen or used this method. Here we are using a double team to create multiple fake copies as a distraction to avoid the attack." Dragon Emperor replies as Ash and Serena nod.

"Another less common way is to use a similar attack known as substitute. Watch closely. Raichu use thunderbolt on Dragonite. Dragonite you know what to do." Dragon Emperor says as Raichu thunderbolt hits Dragonite. Dragonite winces in pain for a moment. But then disappears only to appear behind Raichu.

"In this technique a Pokemon sacrifices a little bit of health to create a decoy copy which can even be seen taking damage by the opponent for a short time. If used properly Substitute can be a great move to deal critical blows to an opponent who may let down his guard after thinking your Pokemon took a lot of damage and leave a big opening for you to capitalize on."