Step 50: CARE for him

Stumbling, I managed to make it to the door of the apartment and swipe my card but the door didn't open. "Ethan," I cried. "We're trapped."

He reached around me and swiped his one which worked. "No. I changed the locks."

"Oh." My eyes widened. I pushed the door open and walked in. "Finally, we're home!" I grinned at Ethan who had his hands in his pockets, staring at me. His jaw was red from where the guy at the bar had hit him. "Are you okay?"

He gingerly rubbed his jaw. "I'm fine compared to the d*ck."

I reached up and cupped his face, looking into the hazel eyes which were bright even in the dark. "Thank you," I said quietly.

He moved my hands away from him. "It's fine." His curtness felt like a punch in the stomach as I remembered Diana's words.

"He's going to withdraw sooner or later."

"I'm... I'm going to sleep. Night," I muttered, leaving him alone. The urge to be sick grew and by the time I reached my room, I was running to the bathroom. My eyes teared up from the feeling of everything coming back up and my heart slightly breaking. I was such a f*cking idiot.

I slumped against the wall, trying to hold back my sobs. I smacked my hand to my forehead. "Stupid Ashley," I grumbled. "It's not real."

But I wanted it to be. I cleaned up then entered the shower trying to wash away the whole night from my body. When the water became cold, I noticed that I had been standing in thought for a while.

Wearing my nightdress, I made my way to my bed when I caught sight of a bottle of water and pills on the pillow. "F*ck him," I cursed but still  took the medicine because I wasn't going to suffer in the morning over feelings.

*****

I scrolled on my phone looking for gifts while nursing my head, which felt like someone had smashed it with a hammer for fun. Ethan had left without a word, going to who knows where while I remained in my room, only leaving for food.

"My dad can have...a tie. My mom... Maybe diamond earrings?" I said to the empty room. "Now, May and Diana..."

A text message popped up on my screen from an unknown number. Hesitantly, I opened it.

Unknown: It's been two days. Expect your billionaire with bullets. In the heart.

My hands shook. "F*ck. F*ck. F*ck," I whispered, getting more panicked by the second. I rung Ethan's phone. "Pick up, please. Pick up!"

"Ashley?"

I clutched my heart which was beating fast. "You're alive?"

"I didn't die. What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Pierson texted me. It's been two days and I didn't give him the money. He's going to kill you." I felt light headed.

"Calm down," he said seriously. "Don't leave the house. I'm coming back but until then, don't open the door."

Images of Ethan crashing or getting shot ran through my mind making me feel ill. "What if something happens while you're coming?"

"Nothing will," he promised. "I need you to not collapse because I'll probably end up hitting someone trying to get back."

I tried to relax, leaning back into my bed. "He's going to shoot you in the heart."

"Let him try."

"Ethan, I'm serious."

"And so am I. I'm going to die from food poisoning from something you've made before a bullet can kill me."

"Shut up." My heart rate slowed down slightly. "Come back quickly."

"I'm thirty minutes away."

"F*ck, I'm scared," I admitted. "And you've been avoiding me."

He didn't reply for a moment. "I'm not."

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not," Ethan repeated. "I needed time to think."

"So you push me away?"

"I can't. I can't push you away." My voice disappeared. What did that mean? He continued. "If I was pushing you away, then why am I driving above the f*cking speed limit just to get back to you to make sure that you're safe?"

"I don't know."

"I don't know why either. And honestly, I don't want to."

"Be safe," I said then hung up. I wasn't ready to talk about feelings with him since I barely understood mine. The wait for Ethan to returned seemed to drag on for hours and the sound of the front door opening filled me with relief.

"Ashley?" He called out. Hurrying down the stairs, I almost collided into him. His muscles were tense as he pulled me into his arms. "Nothing happened to you while I was gone?"

I clutched onto his shirt, finally relaxing. "I'm fine."

"Where's your phone?" His expression was furious but his anger wasn't directed at me. I handed it to him and he pocketed it. "I need to call someone to deal with this. Are you hungry?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Go and eat," he ordered then gently pushed me in the direction of the kitchen.

"Okay." I entered the kitchen but as soon as I picked up a pan, I realized I couldn't cook. Ethan's room was open and I found him at his desk typing. I moved towards him, peering over his shoulder.

"Who's Nolan?"

"Someone who can deal with threats and he's helping Andrew and I build a case against Pierson. This is evidence," he explained, holding my phone then placed it beside his.

"I was going to cook but I was-"

The sound of Ethan's phone vibrating interrupted me. I looked to see that a notification from Ivy Kochanek and there was only one Ivy that I knew of.

Ethan swiped the message away before I could read it, without a word and continued typing. "What were you saying?"

Dazed, I stepped away from him. "Nothing. I-I wanted to look up recipes," I mumbled in a state of shock.

"Here." My phone was placed into my hand which was limp.

"Thanks."

And so Ashley the b*tch was born.

#

Guys, don't throw tomatoes *orange hits face*
No throwing! Yes, you!
Okay, yes, Ethan is acting strange and yes, Ashley is jumping to conclusions but that's not my fault.
"You're the author!" Someone in the crowd yells.
Not the point, Tim. I warned you to fasten your seatbelts because it's only going to get worse. So you can't blame me!
XO Nyx