Chapter 45

"Luke, what the fuck!"

Oh no.

I hear Harry screaming at Luke in the kitchen so I race towards the trouble that's near me.

"What's going-" and then I gasp, taking in the sight before me.

Luke bleached the top of his hair.

"See, this is what happened!" Harry starts yelling again, and I run my hands through Luke's curls.

"Lulu, this is dope right here, but you know the school's gonna flip their shit when they see this." I tell him, and he slumps his shoulders.

"I know, I know. I didn't think-" he starts but Harry cuts him off.

"You never fucking think! Why do you think I'm always yelling at your ass?" He booms at him, and I can tell Luke is starting to get fed up with Harry, the way his jaw clenched and his fists are balling up.

"Harry, it's okay, it can be fixed or something." I try to calm him down, but he just keeps pushing it.

"No! He shouldn't have done it in the first place! Stop taking his side on everything!"

Hol up.

"I'm not taking his side Harry. I'm just saying that it's okay, it's not the end of the world." I try placing my hand in his bicep, but he moves my hand away.

"You know what, how about you let me be the parent right now?! Because you're acting like a little girl right now!" He screams at me, and I completely lose it.

"You know what, excuseeeeee me! I'm sorry I'm such a damn burden in this damn house. Imma just take my little girl self out the house right now, and leave you to be the parent. I'm out!" I say, and Harry starts rushing sorries out his mouth before I grab my keys and slam the door shut.

I don't know what the fuck's gotten into him, but he needs to find his place or sum shit because I dunno who the fuck he thought I was.

Harry

Slam!

Shit.

I didn't mean to say that. I don't know what was going through my mind. I'm guessing it was just how pissed off I was from work and then Luke doing this shit to his hair that ticked me off just enough to say that to her.

I immediately soften my face when I see Luke standing there, fuming mad at me with his hands balled up at his sides.

"Stay here. We'll talk later." I sigh, grabbing my keys off of the key rack and slamming the door behind me.

I hop into my Escalade, driving out to see if I can catch up to her. She shouldn't be too far away, considering she just walked out of the house a minute ago. But, in all reality, she does drive pretty fast, especially when she's pissed.

I back out of the driveway and in my rear view mirror I can see her Jeep turning the corner in front of our house, the gates now closing as she peels from the estate.

And I already know where she's going.

Whenever she's mad or wants to get away from the house, she always goes to the cemetery downtown.

Why? I don't know. I guess she just has a thing for...graveyards?

But anyways, I drive up to there, and eventually I'm like two cars behind her and she doesn't even notice me.

We arrive at the cemetery, but I stay another two streets away so that she doesn't notice me, and I walk over to her spot.

She's crouched down in front the same gravestone that she always visits, and it looks like she's whispering to it.

Emery
*BOLD letters are her father's spirit taking to her.

"Hey dad. Guess what happened today? Well, give up? I'll go ahead and tell you." I smile, and imagine my dad sitting here and having a conversation with me, as if I'm talking with his spirit.

"Well, you remember Luke right? The teenager that I'm the nanny of and my boyfriend's son?"

"Oh yeah, that handful of a kid. What did he do?"

I smile, glad to hear my dad's voice again. It's been a couple of weeks since I last visited him and I was starting to miss him so this fallout with Harry turned out to benefit me:

I guess.

"Well, Luke goes to a Private School, and they have certain dress code policies." I explain.

"I'm following."

"Well I guess Luke decided to dye some of his hair yesterday and was hiding out at his friends' place until it was fully dyed on his tips. So, now his dad's pissed off and we got into a fight because he said that I'm taking Luke's side, but I wasn't. And then he called me a little girl. Like, really?"

I sigh, fiddling with my hands.

"Seems like trouble in paradise."

I laugh at this, because now that I think about it, every time that I come here to talk to my dad, it's always good things about Harry, so I'm guessing that this caught him off guard.

"Tell me about it, dad." I blow a raspberry, putting my chin on my hand.

"All I can say is, hear him out. He's probably had a long day at work or something. And, he probably had a reason for getting so angry with Luke, so just let them hash it out and then let him apologize to you. Or do you want me to come over there and beat him up?"

All I can do is laugh, my eyes getting watery and a single tear escaping from my eye.

"I love you dad." I tell him, wiping my face.

"I love you too."

And as I go to hug him, I wake up from my daydream, staring at his gravestone.

I turn around to see if anybody was watching me, but nobody's there. So I just stand up and start walking towards my car until someone picks me up in their arms, hugging me tightly.

And when I smell the whiff of his cologne, I can already tell who it is.

"I'm so fucking sorry babygirl, I don't know what's gotten into me. I've just had a hard day at work and I guess I took it out in you and Luke. Don't kill me please." He rushes his words, and I sigh.

"Can you please let go of me, because I'll forgive you too quick if you keep mushing up to me." I mumble, and he sets me down.

"Sorry. But, please don't hate me baby. I should've listened to you, because your opinion matters too in this household. You're like my son's mother, and I should've gotten some insight from you instead of criticizing you." He tells me, scratching the name of his neck.

I fold my arms across mr chest, sucking my teeth.

"Alright big papa, but this means no sex for a week, and no touchy touchy either." I point my finger at him, and his face drops.

"Okay, I'll accept the consequences. But anyways, let's go home, this place is freaking me out." I laugh, as he walks rather quickly to my car with me, and he opens the drivers side door for me and waits for me to get in.

"I'll see you at the house." He tells me and I nod, before he shuts the door and walks to his car a couple streets down.

" He tells me and I nod, before he shuts the door and walks to his car a couple streets down