Chapter 22 "Lorie and Gorgie"

Icebreath was a little shaken up with what had happened. she found herself awake on the forest floor. She looked up and saw the sun shinning her eyes. she sat up and walked around the forest. There was no way she was coming back to camp with no food. she started sniffing till she found a rabbit. she pounced on it and caught breakfast. she carried it to a tree and hid it. she picked up on another rabbit scent. she followed it till she saw it in the medows hopping and bounding in the flowers.

"i almost have you little bunny" whispered icebreath to herself.

     She then leaped on the rabbit and bit down on its neack. once it was dead she carried it over to the same were she had the other rabbit barried. she came across something shinny. she blew away the leaves that covered it and saw a fox trap. When she was in the nursery, silverpoint would tell her stories about how the twolegs use these to trap and kill foxes. she said that it can and will kill cats and she told us to stay away from them. but she said that if you ever got stuck in one you try to remove the stick that holds the trap together. then it will release you.

Icebreath gulped, it was so..scary looking and shiny and stuff. she then heard a sharp loud cry. she went running to the sound of wipmering. she saw a she fox stuck in a fox trap. her mate looked at her worried. she was yowling in pain. icebreath stood there.

what should i do?she thought to herself, why should i be questioning myself, i need to help it even though it is a fox. icebreath set down the rabbit and hopped out of the bushed. the other fox growled at her.

"please" pleaded icebreath, even though she knew foxes don't understand cat "i know how to get the trap lose"

The fox stopped growling and let icebreath through. icebreath grabbed the stake in her mouth, and pulled it out of the ground. like silverpiont said, the trap fell apart and the fox was free. icebreath ran over in the bushes and pulled out the rabbit. she set it down in frount of the foxes.

"here, take this rabbit, you'll need it more than i will"

"no, we no take rabbit of yours" said the she fox.

"y-you speak cat?" asked icebreath surprised.

"we oboserve cat clans in area" said the other fox "we know clan ways"

"th-thats awsome that you understand us" said icebreath.

"we thank you for saving my mate from deathly fox trap" said the other fox.

"we will honor you" said the she-fox bowing her head "i'm lorie and this is my mate gorgie"

"i'm icebreath"

"aw a breath of ice, you are young one but will encounter trials in life for moons to come"

Gorgie nugged lorie and lorie looked at him "we must be on our way, we will re pay you breath ice"

"icebreath" shouted icebreath to the fox couple.

they ran off in the disstance and dissappered. who knew foxes could be so nice! icebreath grabbed the rabbit and headed to the entrance of camp. she set down the rabbit in the fresh kill pile and sighed. swiftpaw came barling toward her mentor.

"icebreath, icebreath what are we going to do today?!" swiftpaw was bouncing with excitment. she remembered her first day out, and then the bager attack.

"well i think we should collect moss of the elders" said icebreath.

"okay!" said swiftpaw "are we going to leave yet?"

"i think we should wait for moonfur and redstar to come back from the moonflower first" said icebreath.

"thats fine" said swiftpaw.

Icebreath smiled and felt a tail tip on her shoulder. she looked over to see redstar looking at her.

"your back" said icebreath "that's excellent"

"yeh" said redstar. he kept looking at icebreath, she felt a little uncofertable.

"who's going to be the new deptudy?" asked moonfur behind him.

"i have a cat in mind" said redstar looking at darkheart.

"y-your not going to chosse darkheart...are you" asked swiftpaw.

"no..it-it's just she acts suspisious" said redstar.

So me and redstar know that darkheart is a non trust worthy cat. at least i have someone to back me up on this, thought icebreath.

Redstar had decited that he'd move his den to the old leader den. applestar liked to sleep in the trees but, redstar didn't so he moved back in the cave leader's den. redstar climbed up the skyoak and shouted.

"ALL CATS OLD ENOUGH TO CATCH THEIR OWN PREY, JOIN HERE BENETH THE SKY OAK FOR A CLAN MEETING!"

All the cats from moonclan gathered around the skyoak. icebreath sat down and swiftpaw sat down next to her. mousepelt came out with deathkit, tigerkit, hawkkit, icekit and mudkit by her side. darkheart preatty much gave up her kits to mousepelt. mousepelt lined up the kits in a line and made them sit down.

i guess they wanted to come to the gathering, thought icebreath.

"as every cat knows that since applestar died i became leader" began redstar "and i must have a strong willing deptudy by my side, i have hve decited on which cat it shall be"

"i think blackwing or oragefoot he'll chose" whispered rockfur.

"i think thislefern or orange foot" whispered silverpoint.

Icebreath waited impationtly for redstar's anwser.

"i have not forgoten the apprentice that saved my life when that bager attacked my patrol, and how starclan gave her a second chance, icebreath will you be moonclan's next deptudy?"

icebreath stood up proudly "redstar i accept your request"

"by the power of starclan, i grant the icebreath is the new deptudy of moonclan!"

all cats cheered at the news, well except for darkheart. she was expecting to become deputdy.

"i can't belive my mentor is deptudy" said swiftpaw bragging about icebreath to bluepaw and graypaw.

The cheering died down and icebreath was still standing there with swiftpaw.

"icebreath" said redstar climbing down from the skyoak "will you set up the patrols for today?"

"sure" said icebreath.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *

"like this icebreath?"asked swiftpaw.

"yes like that" said icebreath as they were picking up some fresh new moss.

"lets take these back to the elders now" said icebreath with a mouthful of moss.

they headed back to camp and walked in the elders den.

"hello blackstep, cloudfoot" said icebreath.

"hi" said swiftpaw.

"so how's it going on being the new deptudy" said blackstep.

"its good" said icebreath "the first cople days were ruff"

"it always is when your new at something" said cloudfoot.

"i got cleaner moss than i did yesterday" sai swiftpaw.

"it fine that you messed up a bit, all apprentices do" chuckled blackstep.

"why don't i leave you here to help" said icebreath to swiftpaw.

"okay" she said as she started in.

icebreath walked out and sighed.

icebreath heard a sound that none of the other cats had detected. it was coming from redstars den. icebreath walked up in the den and looked inside. her jaw dropped and her eyes widend with shock.....