Don't Take My Sunshine Away.

(Charlie's POV)

"You know her as Charlotte Rose Lovato." The man at the door said. Is that not who I am? My name has been Charlotte my whole life, and what family are they taking me back to? Demi is my family. Demi let the man in the room, she looked as confused as I did, she looked at me for answers but I just shrugged and shook my head. "Maybe it would be best for Ann- Charlotte, I mean, to leave the room."

"Her name is Charlie, and she can stay here if she wants to. If this is about her she should know what's going on." Demi said firmly, sitting on the couch across from the chair the man sat in. I sat next to Demi on the couch and she grabbed my hand, and I knew she wouldn't let go. "Officer Doyle, can you please just tell me what's going on?"

"Well, we've been trying to find Charlie for fourteen years now, as a baby a woman kindapped her from the hospitol and we could not find her or the woman." Officer Doyle started. "The family never gave up hope, and kept searching and when we saw you and Charlie on TV talking about the case against Sandra Avils, we realized that was the woman we saw on the surveillance video, and through technology showing what Charlie would look like today, we saw this." Officer Doyle pulled out a piece of paper with a picture of a girl who looked almost exactly like me. 

"So what you're saying is that Charlie, isn't Charlie. That Sandra kidnapped her, took her to America, raised her, and now you want to take Charlie to her biological family?" Demi asked. "Well you can't. Charlie is mine, you can't just take her away from me, she's mine, this family doesn't know her, how come they get to just show up and take her?" Demi stated, her voice shaky. 

"Because they are her real family, they have the rights to say they want to take Anna home. They have searched for her and finally found her they will not give up so easily miss Lovato." Officer Doyle said sounding frustrated.

"I am Charlie's real family, just because Charlie and I aren't biologically related doesn't mean we're not a family. She's practically my daughter!" Demi yelled. I looked at her with shock in my face. I didn't know Demi thought of me like that, "You can't just take her away from me."

"Listen miss Lovato, I am a man of the law, no matter how badly I want my daughter back home." Officer Doyle stated. "So if you were going to adopt Anna, and you're prepared to go to court, we can have a custody battle." 

"Your daughter? You mean you're my dad?" I asked. It was the first word I spoke to him and he looked at me with so much care and wonder in his eyes, he stood up and knelt down next to me. 

"Yeah, I am. I have been looking for you for years. You have grown into such a beautiful young lady, you look so much like your mother." He smiled, and I realized it was the same smile I saw in pictures of me and Demi. He held his arms out but I just grabbed one of his hands and shook it, not wanting my other hand to let go of Demi's. "Listen honey, I know I wasn't able to be there for you all these years, but please let me make it up to you." 

"I'm sorry Mr. Doyle. I'm sure you would have been a great father, and your wife a great mother, but I have Demi for a mom. I am honestly very happy with her." I told him. His smile faded and he nodded a little. "But I do have a question. How did Sandra get my birth certificate to have Demi's dad's name on it? How come you never found me? Why was I unattended long enough for a woman, who beat me, molested me, let men rape me, and never let me have friends, to take me away?"

Officer Doyle's face became tight"Sandra and Demi's father use to date and I guess his name was the first she thought of. I don't know much else, that's all the California police would tell me." He said as he stood up. "I'll see you in court Ms. Lovato. Goodbye Anna." He kissed the top of my head then left.