Truth's Told

Sakura's POV

All the clan heads and the children followed Shikaku to his Go room. It was pretty spacious and had no problem fitting all of us inside.

"Come over here Sakura-chan" Shikaku said as he walked over to the other side of a table that held the board. I complied and sat on the empty side. Shikamaru took to sitting closer to us while the others took their own seats wherever they wanted and got comfortable.

For the next hour I spent my time paying close attention to what Shikaku was teaching me. It's not everyday some civilian child gets to be taught by a clan head. Shikaku was a very good teacher, even with his lazy personality. I noticed that he wasn't so lazy when it involved something he enjoyed.

I understood all the things he taught me and Inner made sure we would remember the information for later use. I had the distinct feeling that although I was being watched just as much as all the other kids, now it was solely on me. Where they suspicious? Had I slipped and gave them something to be suspicious of?

I cleared my mind of such thoughts and concentrated on the information that was being given to me. Shikaku taught me about the pieces and their placement and movements, as well as the etiquette and he surprised me by giving me some pointers and some simple strategies.

"So little Sakura-chan, how do you feel about playing a game with me?" He asked rather casually. I smiled and leaned slightly back on my cushion. I nodded as I popped some of my bones to help them relax for the soon to be long game.

"It would surely help me get a solid idea of how to play." I said and he nodded while also scooting back. We both bowed and he then proceeded to empty the pieces on the board. I reached over and started to set my pieces on my side of the board. I placed them according to the image I was getting from Inner. Once I finished I looked up and saw that Shikaku was already done. The game began when he moved his first piece. I took in a deep breath and reached for my first piece. It wouldn't be hard to act naturally this time, because this would be my first shogi game and I had no doubt I would be losing.

~An Hour Later~

I was actually very proud of myself. It was one hour into the game and the more I looked at the board, the more I knew I was cornered. I also knew he was holding back, because there was no way I had lasted and hour with him playing at his best. Inner had been giving me her opinions and ideas which helped greatly, but I knew we still had a long way to go. At some point I had began to try to incorporate some strategies from Go, but he would always make them useless. I came to realize that I needed to create new strategies for shogi. I had used all the pointers and strategies he had given to me, and even added some twist to them, but they were always stopped.

It was my turn currently and I had to finally stop and give up. I sighed and looked up with a defeated smile. I had done the best I could and I was proud of myself. I had managed to get some of his pieces but it wasn't something that had given me any advantages. I knew, that he knew that I would not be able to win.

"I think I'll lose with whatever move I use." I stated looking back down to the board. Shikaku was really good at strategies and I held high respect for him. He knew how to read his opponents and was always steps ahead of them.

"You did really good Sakura-chan." He said and I smiled up to him.

"Only because you taught me well." I said with a small bow towards the man. He waved it off with his hand and went back to his lazy mannerisms.