Week with the twins

( Chapter has undergone major revisions)     

   Fred and George had purchased a shop in Diagon Alley, but it was in desperate need of a little tlc, and they wanted me to stay for the week and help them fix it up a little. Staying with the twins for a week sounded brilliant, but I wasn’t sure how I’d convince Remus or Sirius to let me go. After all, the twins were male…

                “Soooo, how are you guys doing today?” I asked casually, wandering into the kitchen for lunch.

                “Moony’s making waffles,” Sirius said by way of an answer which I assumed meant he was fine.

                “Odd. I recall having waffles a mere six hours ago,” I said, sitting down.

                “A few people were supposed to be here for breakfast and never showed, so there was a lot of batter left over; it seemed a shame to waste it, and Padfoot does love it so,” Remus answered. “Don’t worry, I’m also making plenty of bacon.”

                “Ah, then all food redundancy is forgiven,” I said.

                Within minutes, Remus had plopped a plate down in front of me. I chewed on my bacon thoughtfully. “So you two heard about the twin’s buying a place down at Diagon Alley, right?”

                “Bloody brilliant, isn’t it?” Sirius said, eyes twinkling mischievously. “If I’d know what they were up to, I would’ve donated some money for the cause myself.”

                “Yeah. The place they got isn’t bad, but it needs some care. Lots of cleaning, and shelf-hanging, and what-not.”

                “Sounds like they have a lot of work ahead of them,” Remus said.

                “Yeah,” I muttered, taking another bite of bacon. “I wish I could go help them. I mean it’s great here and all, but it’d be nice to get out of the house.”

                Remus slowly put down his fork. “Rika, what are you suggesting?”

                “Oh nothing. Just the twins sort of invited me to stay the week at their shop and—“

                “No,” both males said simultaneously.

                “But—“

                “No.”

                “But I miss them!! I love you guys, but I need to be around other teenagers!”

                “I’m sorry Rika,” Remus sighed, “I do trust you, but I’m just not comfortable with letting you stay with two teenage boys…”

                “And frankly, I’m tempted to hex them for even suggesting it,” Sirius growled.

                I sighed, running a hand through my hair. “You think by now wizards would have invented some kind of man-touching repellent so their daughters could venture out without the threat of male hormones complicating things.”

                Sirius leaned over to Remus and they began talking hurriedly under their breath. After a few minutes of what looked like quite vicious whisper-fighting, Sirius pulled out his wand. “Now hold still Rika.”

                Unsurely, I let him wave his wand over me in a complicated manner. He then sat back, smirking.

                “Alright,” Remus said, “you may stay at the twins.”