Going out with a bang

Author's note: I know I haven't made 10 comments yet, but I'm so happy with what I've already gotten that I've decided to go ahead and post early. Thank you to every one who commented/voted/fanned/added my story to your library!!!!!!!!!

I slipped into the kitchen, smiling at my guardians. “Morning.”

Neither man answered. Instead they exchanged grim looks. I frowned, pulling out a chair and sitting down. “What’s up?”

Remus let out a long sigh. “I don’t know how to explain it to you Rika…I think it’s best if you read for yourself.”

He handed me a copy of the daily prophet. Its edges were rumpled as if it had been repeatedly gripped too hard, but the headline sprung from the page.

Is a monster’s bark worse than its bite?

Concerned Ministry officials, parents, and citizens are beginning to question whether creatures classified as animals should be allowed to converse as humans.

“It’s disgusting,” reported the chair of creature offences Andrew Skaves. “Their ability to speak is just another way for them to masquerade as humans.”

As of now, no law is underway to restrict the speaking ability of magical creatures—this would include, but is not limited to, illegal werewolves, unregistered vampires, centaurs, and giants—but an act is underway to restrict the singing abilities of such creatures.

“Nothing can better fool a person into thinking a creature has the same intelligence as a human as the creature’s ability to create art,” Ministry official Dolorous Umbridge said.“It fools people into thinking these creatures have the same intelligence and emotional capacity as a normal human. As of now, we don’t’ have any spells to stop creatures from painting or acting or any of that rubbish, but we do have them to stop singing which needs to be done immediately before more people are fooled. Just look at what happened after the illegal werewolf of Hogwarts was seen singing on the news; support for pro-werewolf legislation began to rise. After we tackle this singing monstrosity, we shall hopefully find a way to deny them any other forms of art and take back the language that is rightfully ours.”

Three days from today, the Ministry will be meeting to decide whether or not they should deny creatures the right to sing.

Is this a silly pureblood conspiracy to punish the already downtrodden, or a brilliant effort to stop horrible monsters from convincing future generations of their innocence? As a concerned parent, this writer would personally be thrilled if her child was never exposed to another singing beast again; creatures need to learn their place.

My hands trembled, clutching the paper in a death grip. I forced myself to set it down. “I’m going for a walk.”

“Rika,”Remus called, but I was already out the door, running as hard as I could towards the forest.

I screamed in rage, lashing out at nearby trees, splitting my knuckles open within seconds. It wasn’t fair. It just wasn’t fcking fair. Umbridge was behind this. I knew she was.She just couldn’t take watching someone like me having an actual good life.

Control. Everything was always about control. You take away all of a person’s freedoms, degrade them to mere chattel. And if they manage to rise above it, you strike at the heart.

The bitch was determined to break me in any way possible. I fell to the ground, taking several deep, gasping breaths, trying not to cry.

Singing was the one thing I always had. It didn’t matter what shit the world threw at me, I could always lose myself in my music, cleanse the bile from my blood with a song from the heart.