First day, family time, detention

Author’s note: IMPORTANT!!In the first chapter I made it seem like everyone was aware of Remus’s status as a werewolf. I’m now changing it to where no one besides the Order knows.

I was sitting in the swivel-chair behind Remus’s desk as the students filed in. At the back of the classroom was a small couch that I planned to occupy often. Several students shot me wide-eyed stares so I tried to look as disarming as possible.

Remus began his before class speech, promising to try to make the class the least boring he could. Then he turned the floor over to me. I rose from the chair, calming walking in front of the class.

Pure-blood glares. Confused muggle-borns. Some in between. Some curious. None friendly.

“Good morning. My name is Rika. For those of you who have heard the rumors, yes, I am a naturally born werewolf.I am not violent; I will not harm any of you. The only times I have tried to fight someone have been in self-defense. Yes, Remus technically is my owner, but I am not his slave, or his servant. I’m more like a roommate really. When I lived with him, I paid rent and helped out with a few house chores. For the most part, I’m as human as all of you. I have intelligence and feelings and what-not. I am stronger than most of you and have higher senses. It sounds cool, but they don’t really do much. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. As long as a question is asked out of curiosity, not malice, I most likely won’t take offence. Have fun in Remus’s class—well, have as much fun as you can in a history class…”

One girl raised her hand.

Wow, I wasn’t expecting a question so fast. “Yes?”

“Why aren’t you in school with us?”

Her peers looked at her like she was crazy. Poor dear must’ve been a muggle-born. “By law, I have less legal rights than most animals; I’m not allowed to practice magic.”

“But…why?”

“That my dear is a question I’ve never been able to find a satisfying answer to. But I think I should step back now and let Remus teach, since, you know, that is his job and all.”

She nodded, and I flopped back into Moony’s swivel chair, listening to my iPod as he lectured.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I spent the entire first week chillin in Remus’s room while he taught (and sometimes outside with Siri depending on what animal he was showing), so people could get used to my presence. Now though, I just flittered in and out as I pleased. I spent a lot of my day in the library, roaming the grounds, or taking advantage of the Room of Requirement (Harry had shown it to me on the first day. A room that becomes whatever you want it to? How kick ass is that!?). A lot of my time was spent writing songs, but none were good enough to ever perform yet.

I was lying in the grass under a shade tree listening to Sirius lecture on about fizzerbees or something. The kids split up to groom them. Someone flopped down next to me. Harry smell came off of him, so I presumed it was Harry. I opened my eyes and sure enough, the boy who lived was continuing to live whilst beside me. I regarded the fizzerbee in his lap with amusement. Instead of fur, its coat was made of bubbles that would fix and ooze if the groomer popped one. Harry scrubbed his gently and carefully, seeming deep in thought.

“Hey Rika?”

“Yeah?”

“Promise not to laugh?”

“No guarantees mate, but I promise not to make fun of you even if I do laugh.”

“…. …..I want to spend more time with Padfoot and Moony.”