Late night talk with Damon

Nightmares weren’t an unusual occurrence for me—especially after a stressful situation—but it’d been a while since I had dreamed about Sin; the man who betrayed me.

I saw everything from the beginning: meeting him, befriending him, laughing and joking. I tried to warn myself not to trust him, to run away, but I had no voice. Instead I was forced to watch the past repeat itself. I watched as he handed me a cup laced with a sleeping draught, and I foolishly drank it. I saw my eyes widen in betrayal before I blacked out. I was in silver chains, locked away. Sin laughed, saying he’d always wanted the chance to study a werewolf up close. Flashes. ‘Did you know your heartbeat speeds up as you get closer to the moon?’ he’d ask casually, running his wand over me. ‘You’re breathing efficiency increases as well.’ The familiar confusion. Why did he care about such unimportant things? Why betray me for this? Then the full moon. Or rather, the dawn after. Not a wolf, yet not a human, I remember chains breaking, slashing out at Sin’s face—

I sat up in bed, breathing heavily. My alarm clock informed me that it was just past 1:40 a.m. I massaged my temples, sighing. I really hoped I wouldn’t keep having nightmares every night. I liked sleep; it was my friend.

The door to my room opened quietly, and I looked up to see Remus poke his head in. “Rika? Are you alright?”

I nodded. “How did you know I was awake? Do you have some creepy Moony senses or something?”

He came in the rest of the way and sat down next to me. “None that I’m aware of. I wanted to check in on you. I just happened to have good timing.”

“Why were you been checking in on me?” I asked a bit cautiously. I was a little wary that I was going to get a lecture for my outburst earlier.

“Maybe because I just got you back from a hoard of death eaters? Moony needs to reassure himself that his cub is still here. Now why are you awake at this horrible hour?”

“Bad dream…”

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me to his side. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not really.”

Remus nodded, and we sat in silence for a while. I was started to feel drowsy, but there was something bothering me. “Hey Rems? Can I borrow your cell phone?”

“Now? Who are you going to call in the middle of the night?”

I shrugged. “Can I?”

“I guess, if you want it.”

He gently pushed me back into my pillows and through the covers over my shoulders. He left and returned a few minutes later, setting his phone on my nightstand. “Do you want me to stay until you fall asleep?” I shook my head ‘no.’ “Alright,” he said, dropping a kiss on my forehead. “Goodnight cub. I really missed you.”

“I missed you too,” I said.

He smiled softly, giving me one more hug before leaving. I waited a moment then grabbed the phone, calling Damon.

“’Ello?” he answered after several rings.

“Hey Dames, I need to talk to you.”

“Rika?..The hell? It’s like…bloody two in the morning.”

“I know. And I need to talk to you. You’re going to school tomorrow, so it has to be now.”

“Bloody insane werewolf,” he grumbled. “Fine. I’m coming.” He hung up.

I sat back up, making myself comply and waiting. I flipped on the bedside lamp so that Damon would be able to see.

He opened and closed the door much louder than Remus had. His light brown hair was in total disarray, and he was yawning loudly. I took in his boxer-clad form and laughed. “Forget something?”