Umbridge talk

Aubrey was not happy. His thoughts were a chaotic swirl of images: Rika falling, smirking Slytherins, her face close to his… He groaned, burying his face in his hands.

“Hey.”

He looked up to see one of his roommates standing awkwardly in the doorway. “That werewolf chick you’re friends with…I’m sorry about what almost happened today.”

“Thanks.”

“..And..um..you might not want to go down to the Common Room for a while…”

Aubrey’s fist clenched. “What are they saying?”

“You’re better off not knowing..”

Aubrey’s temper was already strained, but he stormed down to the Common Room anyway. His roommate was right; he was better off not knowing.

They were laughing. Joking about how things would have been different if they had been the ones to catch the mudblood wolf. He grit his teeth, hot anger searing through him. He was about to walk away when one comment pushed him over the edge.

“Filthy thing looks like a real girl,” one of the seventh year boys said. “Wonder what else she can do like a real girl.” He made a crude hand gesture and the others laughed.

“Animal like her’d probably love it. Bet for a couple dog biscuits she’d do whatever you wanted.”

More laughter. Rage shot through Aubrey, propelling him forward. “Enough,” he hissed, silencing them, wand drawn. In a flash eight more wands were pointing back at his face.

“What’s it to you bloodtraitor,” an ugly pinch-faced girl sneered.

“Rika is my friend. That may be a foreign concept to you lot, but it means something to me.”

“Awww. Are we hurting your feelings? Talking bout your little mudblood friends?”

Abruptly one of the Slytherins from DA who had been calmly reading came and stood by Aubrey’s side, drawling his wand as well. “She’s not a mudblood. Don’t tell me you believe all that pureblood fanatic crap.”

“Siding with Mr. Honorary Gryffindor are you,” Draco Malfoy stepped forward, sneering. “Do you want to switch houses to? Go play footsie with the lions?”

The other two DA Slytherins joined Aubrey, shooting Malfoy dirty looks. Draco stepped forward till he was staring up in Aubrey’s face. “Don’t know what you see in that mutt-girl anyway. Bloody useless servant. When my father owned her—“

Crack.

All occupants in the room watched in shock as Aubrey decked Malfoy hard enough to knock him to the floor. The blond boy stared up at the brunette in shock, gingerly cupping his bruised jaw.

“Listen up,” Aubrey hissed dangerously, “I don’t want to hear another word about Rika. And if I ever catch any of you trying to harm her, I will hex every drop of your precious pure blood into sludge. Show the word who the real mudbloods are won’t it?”

Without another word, he stalked back to his room. The others were still too surprised to even hex him as he walked away.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Remus set a tray with warm soup and juice down on my lap. “Eat,” he said soothingly, smiling at me. When I’d come back to the quarters I’d expected Remus to instantly start lecturing me, but he’d just steered me to my room and told me to rest. That had been hours ago and still no talk…